Skip to main content
"The Best Way To Get Started Is To Quit Talking And Begin Doing" - Walt Disney
Community & Connection
- Take the online PathwayU assessment to learn more about your interests, skills, and values.
- Spark a conversation about class with a faculty member during office hours.
- Consider being a leader in an organization or club
- Take time during the semester or year to connect back to family and friends for support.
- Self-reflect on your journey so far through journaling, or meditation.
- Search for an alumni mentor on the Virginia Alumni Mentoring (VAM) platform that works for a company or organization you're interested in working for or a career path you think would be a great fit.
Perfect Your Application Materials & Take Action
- Develop an action plan to reach your short and long-term career goals by meeting one-on one with a career counselor. You can easily schedule a one-on-one appointment online through Handshake. To schedule an appointment, select Career Center, and then Appointments on the top navigation bar within Handshake.
- Attend upcoming in-person or virtual networking event or career fair.
- Explore 'gap year' or service programs, Peace Corps, or other services organizations.
- Research graduate degree programs.
- Consider what UVA faculty member or current/previous supervisor would be best to reach out to as a professional reference. This will be very important when you start applying for full-time job opportunities!
- Create or update your LinkedIn profile before applying to internships. Utilize our VMock -LinkedIn Profile Review Tool (Aspire) to ensure it's ready to be viewed by a wider network of mentors and employers!
- Perfect your cover letter and resume and have it reviewed by Career Center staff. Upload your resume on VMock (24/7 online resume review tool).
- Search for an alumni mentor on the Virginia Alumni Mentoring (VAM) platform that works for a company or organization you're interested in applying to in the future.
- Gain new technical skills using free online learning platforms such as LinkedIn Learning or Coursera.
- Prepare for interviews by scheduling a Mock Interview with a Career Counselor. You can easily schedule a one-on-one appointment online through Handshake. To schedule an appointment, select Career Center, and then Appointments on the top navigation bar within Handshake.