Explore careers, gain professional experience, skills, and expand your network in Charlottesville during the academic year or summer! Over 300 internship placements are available each year and growing.
For over 40 years, UVA has connected students with quality professional internships with public sector and private industry organizations in Charlottesville as an important part of its public service mission. The UVA Internship Placement Program continues this tradition offering you a customized placement with a pre-qualified internship matched to your career field of interest for the summer, semester, or academic year.
The Internship Placement Program team will match you based on the best opportunities for your interests, skills, and goals. We will help you develop your skills and knowledge through a Professional Development Workshop and provide ongoing support in all aspects of your internship experience. Program internships can be paid or unpaid and may be pursued for credit. All internship sites are pre-qualified to meet UVA standards and guidelines established for internships by the Department of Labor Fair Labor Standards Act.
While internship placement cannot be guaranteed, one application provides you with consideration for multiple opportunities, professional skill development through the application process, and review for all sessions.
IPP Advising Drop-in Hours:
1:30-4:30 pm Tuesdays and Wednesdays in Georges Center in Clemons Library, Room 226
IPP is fortunate to have strong partnerships with Charlottesville-based organizations across a wide variety of industries and community organizations. And, relationships with professionals in diverse functional roles who volunteer and dedicate their time to designing quality internship experiences for students and mentorship. IPP is distinctive in its dual mission to provide valuable pre-professional experience for students and service to community businesses and organizations. The list of IPP partnering organizations below showcases Charlottesville as a dynamic professional community of abundant opportunities for students to explore careers, themselves, and their futures as interns.
- One application for multiple internship opportunities
- Customized internship placement
- Pre-qualified internships
- Professional Development Workshop
- Develop skills necessary for future opportunities
- Build industry knowledge and experiences
- Expand your network
- UVA Career Center support during internship
Advanced IPP - Academic Credit
Connect your internship with a semester-long one credit internship reflection course (UNST 3510) to enhance the internship experience. UNST 3510 is offered during the fall and spring semesters and features topics such as organizational development, leadership, team dynamics, professional skills, and career management to deepen your understanding and internship work. The course is completed concurrently or post internship and combines a mix of in class and virtual forum; multiple course sections are offered for maximum scheduling flexibility. Most internship sites require credit due to employment policies. Please be sure to consider session duration, required internship hours, AND one-credit UNST 3510 course each semester in your semester planning. A maximum of two credits of UNST 3510 enrollment (or two semesters of IPP placement) can be completed.
Note: IPP Clinical Research Internships/UVA Health System/School of Medicine placements require both IPP Summer and Academic Year Sessions due to training and regulatory requirements (two credits of UNST 3510 completed fall and spring semesters).
To be eligible for the Internship Placement Program, students must:
- be currently enrolled as a full-time UVA undergraduate student
*Priority is given to upperclassmen in the College of Arts & Sciences
- attain overall and major GPA of at least 2.5
- be in good academic standing and clear disciplinary record
- be able to meet the health, age, academic, security, and/or related internship criteria of the sponsoring IPP organization
- commit to the program requirements, policies, and professionalism
- enroll/complete one credit UNST 3510 course (IPP can be take twice for credit; 2 credit maximum)
In accepting an IPP internship, students agree to complete the following:
- Academic Year/Semester Session requires 10 hours/week for the duration of the session (see dates below)
- Summer Session requires 20 hours/week (see dates below)
- Mandatory IPP Intern Orientation & Professional Skills Workshop
- IPP Reflections of the Week journal for each week of the session
- Enrollment and completion of UNST 3510 for each IPP session
- Adherence to IPP professional conduct policies and human resource policies outlined by hosting organization
- Intern Performance Evaluation
Note: Students are not permitted to pursue IPP internships outside of the program; doing so is a violation of program policies and requirements that ensure quality internship experiences.
Choose from one of the available sessions:
- 2019 Spring: 01/14/2019 – 04/30/2019 (currently closed)
- 2019 Summer: 06/10/2019 – 08/02/2019
- 2019-2020 Academic Year: 08/27/2019 – 04/28/2020
- See IPP timeline/deadlines below.
- Review the Internship Placement Program participation guidelines.
- Sign-in to Handshake
- Explore IPP internships - Search <IPP> under Handshake Jobs
"Favorite" 5 internships of interest to include in your IPP application
- Register for the Internship Placement Program; $95.00 application fee (you must complete this step first)
Note: A waived fee, as a refund after application submission, is available for students with demonstrated financial need. Indicate "fee waiver" in the IPP application.
- Select <Events>
- Search <Career Fairs>
This module contains a virtual event registration program supporting the Internship Placement Program
- Select the Internship Placement Program and <JOIN EVENT>
- Pay $95.00 application fee and receive confirmation with the IPP application link
- Complete IPP application
The application requires three short personal statements and 5 internship preferences with title/job id from your "favorite" list
- Receive application confirmation with directions to schedule a required interview with the IPP team
- Schedule an interview in Handshake/Career Center/Appointments/IPP Interview
- Prepare for your interview using UVA Career Center resources
- Receive preliminary internship placement final on-site interview or deferral for placement in another session
Finalizing Your IPP Internship
- Interview on site with IPP supervisor
- Confirm internship placement with IPP Participation Form by deadline
- Complete IPP Intern Orientation & Professional Skills Workshop (dates in IPP Timeline)
- Register for UNST 3510, Internship Reflection course in SIS
INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT PROGRAM TIMELINE
|IPP Postings Viewable in Handshake (postings will continue to be added)||01/15/2019|
|Student Application & Interview Period - Summer/Academic Year Sessions - March 1st deadline||01/21/2019 - 03/01/2019|
|Intern Preliminary Placement Notification||Week of 03/20/2019|
|Final On-Site Placement Interview Period||03/20/2019 - 04/30/2019|
|Intern Orientation & Professional Skills Workshop - Summer 2019||06/09/2019|
|Intern Orientation & Professional Skills Workshop - Academic Year 2019-2020||08/26/2019|
|IPP ACADEMIC YEAR SESSION 2018-19|
|Spring Semester Courses Begin/Internship Start Date||01/14/2019|
|UNST 3510 Course Start (multiple sections)||Week of 01/21/2019|
|MLK Day Observance (classes not in session/no internship hours)||01/21/2019|
|Spring Recess (classes not in session/no internship hours)||03/09/2019-03/17/2019|
|Mid-Session Intern Performance Evaluation Deadline||03/22/2019|
|Final Intern Performance Evaluation Deadline||04/26/2019|
|Courses End/Internships Conclude||04/30/2019|
|Program & Course Evaluations||04/22/2019-04/26/2019|
|Academic Year Session 2018-19||08/28/2018 - 04/30/2019|
|Spring Session 2019||01/14/2019 - 04/30/2019|
|Summer Session 2019||06/10/2019 - 08/02/2019|
|Academic Year Session 2019-2020||08/27/2019 - 04/28/2020|
|Fall Session 2019||08/27/2019 - 12/06/2019|
|Spring Session 2020||01/13/2020 - 04/28/2020|
Note: Most IPP placements are Summer Session and/or full Academic Year in duration. IPP Fall/Spring Semester Sessions are available, but limited.