Explore career interests, gain professional experience, and expand your network in Charlottesville during the academic year or summer!
For over 40 years, the UVA Internship Placement Program (IPP) has connected students with quality professional internships with organizations in Charlottesville. The IPP team matches you with a customized internship placement based on the best opportunities for your interests, skills, and goals. We will help you develop your skills and knowledge through a Professional Development Workshop and provide ongoing support in all aspects of your internship experience. All internship sites are pre-qualified to meet UVA standards and guidelines established for internships by the Department of Labor Fair Labor Standards Act.
While internship placement cannot be guaranteed, one application provides you with consideration for multiple opportunities. Questions? Stop by Georges Center in Clemons Library, Room 226 on Wednesdays from 1-4pm (Spring 2020).
IPP is fortunate to have strong partnerships with Charlottesville-based organizations across a wide variety of industries and community organizations and relationships with professionals in diverse functional roles who volunteer and dedicate their time to designing quality internship experiences for students. IPP is distinctive in its dual mission to provide valuable pre-professional experience for students and service to community businesses and organizations.
- One application for multiple internship opportunities
- Customized internship placement
- Pre-qualified internships
- Professional Development Workshop
- Develop skills necessary for future opportunities
- Build industry knowledge and experiences
- Expand your network
- UVA Career Center support during internship
Connect your internship with a semester-long one credit internship reflection course (UNST 3510) to enhance the internship experience. UNST 3510 is offered during the fall and spring semesters and features topics such as organizational development, leadership, team dynamics, professional skills, and career management to deepen your understanding and internship work. The course is completed concurrently or post-internship and combines a mix of in class and virtual forum; multiple course sections are offered for maximum scheduling flexibility. Most internship sites require credit due to employment policies. Please be sure to consider session duration, required internship hours, AND one-credit UNST 3510 course each semester in your semester planning. A maximum of two credits of UNST 3510 enrollment (or two semesters of IPP placement) can be completed.
- Currently enrolled as a full-time UVA undergraduate student
*Priority is given to upperclassmen in the College of Arts & Sciences
- Overall and major GPA of at least 2.5
- Good academic standing and clear disciplinary record
- Meet the health, age, academic, security, and/or related internship criteria of the sponsoring IPP organization
- Commit to the program requirements, policies, and professionalism
- Enroll/complete one credit UNST 3510 course (IPP can be take twice for credit; 2 credit maximum)
In accepting an IPP internship, students agree to complete the following:
- Academic Year/Semester Session requires 10 hours/week for the duration of the session (see dates below)
- Summer Session requires 20 hours/week (see dates below)
- Mandatory IPP Intern Orientation & Professional Skills Workshop
- IPP Reflections of the Week journal for each week of the session (Summer Session only)
- Enrollment and completion of UNST 3510 for each IPP session
- Adherence to IPP professional conduct policies and human resource policies outlined by hosting organization
- Intern Performance Evaluation
Note: Students are not permitted to pursue IPP internships outside of the program; doing so is a violation of program policies and requirements that ensure quality internship experiences.
- Spring 2020 Session: 01/13/2020 – 04/28/2020
- Summer 2020 Session: 06/15/2020 - 08/07/2021
- Academic Year 2020-2021 Session: 08/25/2020 - 12/08/2020; 01/20/2021 - 05/04/2021
Summer 2020 and Academic Year 2020-2021
|Priority Application Deadline||2/24/2020|
|IPP Interview Period||1/20/2020 - 3/6/2020|
|On-site Interview with Organization Period||3/23/2020 - 4/3/2020|