The University of Virginia enrolls an average of 600 transfer students a year and there are currently over 2,000 transfer students at the University. Preparing for major selection and exploring possible career options as a transfer student can feel like more of a challenge. The information below is focused on assisting all transfer students with the career development process, including ideas for how to best utilize the Career Center throughout your academic career. Also, be sure to view the Transfer Student Resource Guide for a great overview of resources available to transfer students.
Jump to a section:
- Career Resources
- Job Search and Networking Tools
- UVA Student Groups and Resources
- Scholarships and Funding
- Additional Information
- Transfer Student Career Plan: A checklist for each academic year designed to help you identify the steps to take for career success. Reference this blog post for specific steps you may want to consider related to your career exploration, as recommended by a current transfer student!
- Pre-Health for Transfer Students: Considering a career related to pre-health occupations? Refer to these helpful resources from our Pre-Health and Law Advising team for more information.
- Career Exploration Workshops: A small group workshop series that meets for 4 weeks and provides you with tools to identify your interests, skills, and values, as well as tips for how to choose a major and explore various career options. Check out the transfer student specific workshop happening in spring 2017!
If you have specific questions about major requirements and/or what courses to register for, make a plan to meet with your faculty advisor and/or Association Dean, Frank Papovich. If you have questions about how to choose a major, explore different career options, how to apply to internships, graduate school, or the job search, make an appointment with the UVA Career Center to speak with a Career Counselor.
Job Search and Networking Tools
- Action Steps for Advancing Transfer Student Success
- Handshake: This is the official job/internship search platform for the university. It allows you the flexibility of personalization in your job search while also providing valuable career resources that are only available to UVA students.
- Focus on Transfer Students
- Search for Internship Opportunities: Interested in finding an internship during your time at UVA? Here you'll find a comprehensive guide for how to search for an internship, as well as tips and resources to use during your search.
- Transfer Student Career Development Plan
- Virginia Alumni Mentoring: This is a program that connects you with alumni who have volunteered to provide insights about the process of choosing and starting a career in a specific field.
- Informational Interviewing: As a transfer student, it can be extremely helpful to start your career development process by gathering information from others in positions of interest. Use this page as a guide for how to start these conversations.
UVA Student Groups and Resources
- Transfer Student Peer Advisors Program: Program that pairs current upperclass students with incoming transfer students.
- Transfer Student Information: Office of New Student Programs and Office of the Dean of Students: Overview of dedicated staff, resources, and programs available to support your time as a transfer student at UVA.
- New Transfer Student Guide: Guide for enrolled transfer students that contains advice on requirements and deadlines which are critical to completing your degree on time.
- Access UVA Student Support: The Office of the Dean of Students (ODOS) provides students who are receiving financial aid from the university support in the form of one-on-one meetings; programs related to financial literacy, housing, study abroad, etc; and outreach dedicated to promoting the academic and emotional wellbeing of students.
Scholarships and Funding
Searching for scholarships can be overwhelming. Be on the lookout for opportunities on departmental bulletin boards and listservs. The resources below will give you a great start.
Resources for Scholarships, Fellowships, and Internship/Research Funding
- Alumni Association
- Center for Undergraduate Excellence
- Student Financial Services
- Office of African-American Affairs Parents Advisory Association and UVA Parents Fund Committee
- Public Service at the University of Virginia
- Internship Funding Opportunities
School Websites for Scholarships and Fellowships
- College of Arts and Sciences
- Curry School of Education
- School of Architecture
- School of Nursing
- McIntire School of Commerce
Summer and Semester Study Abroad Aid
There are several sources for study abroad aid. Be sure to discuss the variety of program options (based on your region of interest) with an education abroad advisor to identify program options that meet your needs.Visit Student Financial Services during their walk-in hours to meet with a financial aid counselor. Bring your draft list of programs with you to hear about financial aid options for these programs. Visit Financial Aid for more information about how to finance study abroad.
For more information before you visit a financial aid counselor during walk-in hours, please see the following websites:
Resources for Students Applying to Graduate/Professional Schools
- Graduate School Funding
- Pre-Health Advising: Financing Your Education
- Pre-Law Advising (New Window)">Pre-Law Advising: Financing Your Legal Education