As a veteran, you may bring unique value to a particular position or company. This page aims to provide resources and information to specifically support UVA veterans in their career and job search.
Jump to a section:
- Career Resources
- Job Search and Networking Tools
- UVA Student Groups and Resources
- Professional Associations
If you have questions about careers, networking, the job search or related topics, make an appointment with a career counselor. If you are interested in working for the government, you may want to check out the Public Service & Government career community. Here are some tools to help you get started exploring careers and creating professional materials.
- O*Net for Veterans
- Sample Veteran Resumes
- VA for Vets
- Student Veterans of America
- Career Resources for Veterans
- Gov Loop Guide to Veterans Resources
The links below provide great resources for various stages of your job search.
- Military to Civilian Occupation Translator: helps service members match military skills and experience to civilian occupations
- Job-Hunt's Veteran Job Search: includes advice, resume-building tools, and resources for job opportunities for veterans
- Riley Guide: includes job-search advice, job postings specific to sector, tax records, and rights.
- Undergradu-vets national career conference: an annual conference to connect undergraduate veterans with employers.
- Military Times Best for Vets: lists companies across the U.S. who are the best employers for veterans, with veteran specific programs. Companies from various industries include...USAA, Verizon, BAE Systems, Capital One, and Morgan Stanley.
- Veterans Employment Toolkit: toolkit on how to find a job for veterans,
- Employment Resources for Veterans: resources on employment for veterans from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Veteran and Military Transition Center: resources for veterans transitioning into the civilian workforce.
- Military.com: jobs for veterans. Also provides career advice, skills translator tools, job fair information, and more.
- G.I. Jobs: provides resources and lists jobs for veterans to get their civilian career started.
- Vet Jobs: military job board.
- DIA Jobs: Defense Intelligence Agency careers page/job board.
- Virginia Department of Human Resource Management's Veterans Employment and Outreach Services Page: information on employment opportunities and assistance, veteran services, and upcoming events related to veterans.
- Feds Hire Vets: information about veteran's preference, which gives eligible veterans preference in federal appointment over many other applicants.
- Hire Heroes USA: personalized employment assistance program to help transitiong military members, veterans and spouses find civilian jobs.
What's it like to be a veteran at UVA? Read this Q&A with a student. If you are looking to connect with your peers, you may want to join one of these veteran student organizations at UVA:
- The Veteran Underground Group at UVA (undergraduate)
- Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights - Resource for Veterans
- UVA Military Veterans (faculty and staff)
- Virginia Law Veterans (law school students)
- Darden Military Association (Darden/MBA students)
There are many associations or programs to assist veterans with careers. Review the How to Pick a Military or Veteran Association on Military.com to help you think about what organizations would be a good fit for you. Here are a few examples.