As a veteran, you may bring unique value to a particular position or company. This page aims to provide resources and information to specifically support UVA veterans in their career and job search.
Jump to a section:
- Career Resources
- Job Search and Networking Tools
- UVA Student Groups and Resources
- Professional Associations
If you have questions about careers, networking, the job search or related topics, make an appointment with a career counselor. If you are interested in working for the government, you may want to check out the Public Service & Government career community. Here are some tools to help you get started exploring careers and creating professional materials.
- O*Net for Veterans
- Sample Veteran Resumes
- VA for Vets
- Student Veterans of America and Student Veterans of America Chapter at UVA
- Career Resources for Veterans
- Gov Loop Guide to Veterans Resources
The links below provide great resources for various stages of your job search.
- LinkedIn for Veterans: get premium access for free, learn how to list your military experience on LinkedIn, and join the LinkedIn Veteran's Mentor Network.
- Military to Civilian Occupation Translator: helps service members match military skills and experience to civilian occupations
- Job-Hunt's Veteran Job Search: includes advice, resume-building tools, and resources for job opportunities for veterans
- Riley Guide: includes job-search advice, job postings specific to sector, tax records, and rights.
- Undergradu-vets national career conference: an annual conference to connect undergraduate veterans with employers.
- Military Times Best for Vets: lists companies across the U.S. who are the best employers for veterans, with veteran specific programs. Companies from various industries include...USAA, Verizon, BAE Systems, Capital One, and Morgan Stanley.
- Veterans Employment Toolkit: toolkit on how to find a job for veterans,
- Employment Resources for Veterans: resources on employment for veterans from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Veteran and Military Transition Center: resources for veterans transitioning into the civilian workforce.
- Military.com: jobs for veterans. Also provides career advice, skills translator tools, job fair information, and more.
- G.I. Jobs: provides resources and lists jobs for veterans to get their civilian career started.
- Vet Jobs: military job board.
- DIA Jobs: Defense Intelligence Agency careers page/job board.
- Virginia Department of Human Resource Management's Veterans Employment and Outreach Services Page: information on employment opportunities and assistance, veteran services, and upcoming events related to veterans.
- Feds Hire Vets: information about veteran's preference, which gives eligible veterans preference in federal appointment over many other applicants.
- Hire Heroes USA: personalized employment assistance program to help transitiong military members, veterans and spouses find civilian jobs.
If you are looking to connect with your peers, you may want to join one of these veteran student organizations at UVA:
- Student Veterans of America Chapter at UVA (open to undergraduates, graduates and alumni)
- Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights - Resource for Veterans
- Wahoo Warrior Guide (Registrar resources)
- UVA Military Veterans (faculty and staff)
- Virginia Law Veterans (law school students)
- Darden Military Association (Darden/MBA students)
- Virginia Department of Veterans Services (state program for veteran & family support)
If you need academic support, connect with the association dean for student veterans.
There are many associations or programs to assist veterans with careers. Review the How to Pick a Military or Veteran Association on Military.com to help you think about what organizations would be a good fit for you. Here are a few examples.