As a veteran, you may bring unique value to a particular position or company. This page aims to provide resources and information to specifically support UVA veterans in their career and job search.
Jump to a section:
- Career Resources
- Job Search and Networking Tools
- UVA Student Groups and Resources
- Professional Associations
If you have questions about careers, networking, the job search or related topics, make an appointment with a career counselor. Here are some tools to help you get started exploring careers and creating professional materials.
The links below provide great resources for various stages of your job search.
- Military to Civilian Occupation Translator: helps service members match military skills and experience to civilian occupations
- DiversityInc.: 2015 Top companies to work for
- Job-Hunt's Veteran Job Search: includes advice, resume-building tools, and resources for job opportunities for veterans
- Riley Guide: includes job-search advice, job postings specific to sector, tax records, and rights
- Military.com: jobs for veterans. also provides career advice, skills translator tools, job fair information, and more.
- Virginia Department of Human Resource Management's Veterans Employment and Outreach Services Page: information on employment opportunities and assistance, veteran services, and upcoming events related to veterans.
- Feds Hire Vets: information about veteran's preference, which gives eligible veterans preference in federal appointment over many other applicants.
- Undergradu-vets national career conference: an annual conference to connect undergraduate veterans with employers.
What's it like to be a veteran at UVA? Read this Q&A with a student. If you are looking to connect with your peers, you may want to join one of these veteran student organizations at UVA:
- Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights - Resource for Veterans
- UVa Military Veterans
- Virginia Law Veterans
- Darden Military Association
- 4S: Students Supporting Soldier pSychology
- Operation Flag the Lawn
There are many associations or programs to assist veterans with careers. Review the How to Pick a Military or Veteran Association on Military.com to help you think about what organizations would be a good fit for you. Here are a few examples.