As a veteran, you may bring unique value to a particular position or company. This page aims to provide resources and information to specifically support UVA veterans in their career and job search.
Jump to a section:
- Career Resources
- Job Search and Networking Tools
- UVA Student Groups and Resources
- Professional Associations
If you have questions about careers, networking, the job search or related topics, make an appointment with a career counselor. If you are interested in working for the government, you may want to check out the Public Service & Government career community. Here are some tools to help you get started exploring careers and creating professional materials.
- O*Net for Veterans
- Sample Veteran Resumes
- VA for Vets
- Student Veterans of America and Student Veterans of America Chapter at UVA
- Career Resources for Veterans
- Gov Loop Guide to Veterans Resources
- Pat Tillman Scholarship: This scholarship assists veterans with academic expenses. Average award is $10,000. Applications open in February.
- Vanderbilt's Bass Military Scholars Program: Provides 40 (6 for the 2019-2020 year) full-tuition scholarships for military veterans pursuing graduate and professional degrees in law, management, education, medicine, and nursing.
The links below provide great resources for various stages of your job search.
- LinkedIn for Veterans: Veteran-specific professional development learning content, networks, and a free year of LinkedIn Premium
- Google for Veterans: Provides veterans with career-enhancing resources and the ability to search for jobs based on their MOS
- Military to Civilian Occupation Translator: helps service members match military skills and experience to civilian occupations
- Job-Hunt's Veteran Job Search: includes advice, resume-building tools, and resources for job opportunities for veterans
- Riley Guide: includes job-search advice, job postings specific to sector, tax records, and rights.
- Undergradu-vets national career conference: an annual conference to connect undergraduate veterans with employers.
- Military Times Best for Vets: lists companies across the U.S. who are the best employers for veterans, with veteran specific programs. Companies from various industries include...USAA, Verizon, BAE Systems, Capital One, and Morgan Stanley.
- Best for Vets Employers 2018: Employers were evaluated according to their culture, policies for military-connected employees and resources they devote to hiring veterans. Only organizations that did well in this evaluation made this from the Military Times.
- Veterans Employment Toolkit: toolkit on how to find a job for veterans,
- Employment Resources for Veterans: resources on employment for veterans from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Veteran and Military Transition Center: resources for veterans transitioning into the civilian workforce.
- Military.com: jobs for veterans. Also provides career advice, skills translator tools, job fair information, and more.
- G.I. Jobs: provides resources and lists jobs for veterans to get their civilian career started.
- Vet Jobs: military job board.
- DIA Jobs: Defense Intelligence Agency careers page/job board.
- Virginia Department of Human Resource Management's Veterans Employment and Outreach Services Page: information on employment opportunities and assistance, veteran services, and upcoming events related to veterans.
- Feds Hire Vets: information about veteran's preference, which gives eligible veterans preference in federal appointment over many other applicants.
- Hire Heroes USA: personalized employment assistance program to help transitioning military members, veterans and spouses find civilian jobs.
- Veterati: Digital platform that provides veterans and spouses with crowdsourced mentoring, access to recruiters, and more
- VetNet: Classes, tools, and resources compiled by veteran service organizations to help veterans navigate their transition
- NBC News Next Steps for Veterans: Resources for a variety of job related questions and tips for veterans, including advice on cover letters, job interviews, and networking
- Hiring Our Heroes (HOH): An initiative by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce to connect veterans, service members, and military spouses with employment resources
- Resume Engine: Resume builder for military members that allows you to put in your job code and translate your experience to civilian language
- Military One Source: Resource for veterans while transitioning to civilian life
- Transition Assistance Program Overview: Resource provided by the VA for assisting in the transition to civilian life
- My Next Move for Veterans: An online search tool for veterans to browse available jobs and careers
What's it like to be a veteran at UVA? If you are looking to connect with your peers, you may want to join one of these veteran student organizations at UVA:
- Wahoo Warrior
- Student Veterans of America Chapter at UVA (open to undergraduates, graduates and alumni)
- Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights - Resource for Veterans
- UVA Military Veterans (faculty and staff)
- Virginia Law Veterans (law school students)
- Darden Military Association (Darden/MBA students)
- Virginia Department of Veterans Services (state program for veteran & family support)
If you need academic support, Shawn Lyons is your association dean.
There are many associations or programs to assist veterans with careers. Review the How to Pick a Military or Veteran Association on Military.com to help you think about what organizations would be a good fit for you. Here are a few examples.