Jump to a section:
- Career Resources
- Job Search and Networking Tools
- UVA Student Groups and Resources
- Professional Associations
Kelly E. Kennedy, Director of Career Readiness, Athletics
Did you know that some employers actually look for athletes when reviewing resumes? You have developed important skills as a student-athlete that make you an attractive job candidate! See some below.
Transferable Skills of an Athlete:
- Leadership Skills
- Working Well Under Pressure
- Time Management
Whether you choose to include your involvement in athletics under the heading “LEADERSHIP,” “ATHLETICS” or “EXPERIENCE,” use strong action words to describe your accomplishments and skills.
Positive Action Verbs:
- Devote 20+ hours per week to meetings, training, and competitions
- Voted Most Valuable Oarswoman as freshman team member
- Demonstrated ability to willingly accept challenges and make decisions under pressure
- Build positive relationships with other team members through teamwork, communication skills and positive work habits
What can you include outside of game day experiences:
- In the “EDUCATION” section, include a list of Relevant Courses for the job to which you are applying. You can also make a separate section called "Relevant Coursework"
- Include any experience in public speaking to the media or before groups of children, at camps, schools or conferences
- Include any coaching or training you have done; emphasize communication, organizational and motivational skills. This can include camps that you have worked or private training you have done at home for younger athletes.
- Include community service you have done as an individual and as part of your team (e.g. hospital visits, A.C.E. (Athletes Committed to Education, Team Impact, etc.)
Job Search Tools
Student-Athlete Employer Reception
- Externships are self-initiated, short-term shadowing opportunities which would allow you to “test” out a career of interest and gain experience. Externships are ideal for you as a student-athlete because they can be completed at any time that is mutually convenient for you and the employer. There are UVA Alumni and friends in Pathways that you can connect with to develop your experience.
- Internships - through Handshake or Pathways. Or we can help you develop and source our own!
- Career Center Accelerator Program
- Forge (Formerly Hack CVille)
- Internship Placement Program
UVA Career Center is a great place to start your research. Your team and the alumni from the program can be a great place to start! Check out additional networking information and resources here.