Before the Interview
- Thoroughly research the program/school to demonstrate your knowledge and interest, and to allow more time to discuss specifics of the school and your fit.
- Look into the school's website, the MSAR, or printed literature/news articles to learn more about them.
- One of the most common concerns is going to be the wi-fi connection. Check the speed with speedtest.net to be sure it is strong enough.
- If you live with others that share the same network, ask for them to shut down their devices during the time to prevent the network from being stretched. You will also want to shut down all other applications on your computer for the same purpose.
- You may also want to conduct your interview close to an outlet and have a charger at the ready in case of a low battery emergency.
- Try not to use a device that accepts phone calls or text messages for your interview so that you are not disturbed during the interview.
- Do a test-run video call with a friend or family member to get feedback on how the sound quality, video quality, and environment appear to the receiver.
- Prior to the interview, be sure to have the appropriate software on your computer. Some might run through Zoom but there are additional platforms for virtual interviews. You will want to allow time to navigate the interface prior to the interview starting.
- Develop a plan for if the technology cuts out. This could involve providing the employer with your cell phone number prior to the session in case it cuts out unexpectedly.
- If the interview is in Zoom, be sure to use your UVA email address, not your personal email. It demonstrates a level of professionalism and brands you as a UVA student.
- Where you conduct this interview is important. Try to find a location that is both well lit and has a neutral background. This may be difficult to find if you are in an apartment or shared space, so consider virtual backgrounds if need be or if the platform allows.
- If you do live in a shared space, it is important you let the people around you know about your interview. You do not want there to be any interruptions so you can focus on the task at hand.
TYPE OF INTERVIEW
Be sure to clarify the format of the interview with the recruiter. There will likely be information about the software required and if there is a password required. Interviews in the virtual world may be facilitated differently depending on the organization.
- The interview is present in the platform asking questions, much like a normal in-person interview.
- Treat this just as you would a normal interview and pay attention to body language and positioning on camera.
- Pay attention to your body language and positioning and look directly into the camera to maintain eye contact and position yourself at eye-level so that you don’t appear to be looking up or down at your interviewer. This may involve propping up your computer for better positioning.
- Eye contact is even more important for this interview since you will likely not be seeing another individual when responding to the questions.
- Keep in mind, you may have one attempt for these interviews. Be sure to familiarize yourself and read all instructions before starting your interview.
- The AAMC has preparation material and ways to practice on their website. Participate in these to be sure you are ready for the real interview.
- Ensure your laptop/technology is charged and has a strong internet connection
- Remind the people who live in your shared space about your interview
- Dress for success - from head to toe (not just the top half!)
After the Interview
- Send a thank-you email within 24 hours to thank the interviewer and include a unique piece of information you learned or demonstrated during your interview. If you are submitting a letter, check out tips on How to Write Thank You Letters
Mock Interview - Schedule a mock interview with a Pre-Health Advisor through Handshake or by calling 434-924-8900. Pre-Health Advisors are available for one mock interview per semester for students, so please be intentional when you choose this appointment option.