All summer internship program options require students to enroll in UVA's Eight Week Summer Session and pay applicable tuition and fees. The application for Summer 2019 will open Fall 2018 and be available through UVA's Education Abroad.
Application deadline February 15, 2019. Please note: An interview with the IPP Team is required as part of the application process. IPP encourages students to schedule interviews before submitting a final program application to Education Abroad. To schedule an interview, complete your personal statement, supplemental questions, and upload your resume. See instructions in the Education Abroad application.
Jump to a section:
- Academic Credits Earned
- Academic Seminar
- Professional Practice Internship Placement
- UIP 2018 Dublin Budget Sheet
- Recruiting Timeline
The UVA Internship Placement Program (IPP) and the International Studies Office (ISO) have partnered with European Study Abroad (EUSA) to develop, build, and customize European internships for UVA students in Dublin, Ireland and Prague, Czech Republic during the Special Summer Session. Participating students will be able to intern in a variety of professional fields including: private sector business, political parties, law, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), hospitals, lobby groups, professional associations, and many more. Internships are determined by your interest, studies, experience, and professional and academic plans. The program includes an on-Grounds academic and administrative orientation, followed by a professional practice, unpaid academic internship, interning full-time (32 hours per week, Monday-Thursday). Program costs include tuition, housing, internship placement, administration, orientations, and cultural exploration activities. Students will live in a centrally located, fully furnished apartments complex with easy access to public transportation in Dublin or Prague depending on their program of interest.
"On-call" Faculty available.
- EUSA Placement Consultation Interviews on Grounds Spring 2019
- Required Education Abroad Orientation Spring 2019
- Mandatory Half-Day Pre-Departure Orientation Spring 2019
- Off-Grounds Distance Learning Class, Summer Semester
- 32 hours per week at the Internship
- Class Assignments
- Total Duration: 8 weeks during the Summer Semester
Academic Credits Earned
3 credits total
The interdependence of the seminar-internship combination involves intentional learning that supports your academic, professional, and personal interests. The seminar will provide you with the opportunity to actively reflect on your internship experience, to learn more about yourself, the international workplace and culture, and life in organizations. The first meeting of your seminar will be on-Grounds prior to the end of the spring semester. Via the Internet and Collab, your IPP faculty will consult with you on a regular basis throughout your internship in Dublin or Prague. Academic credit is earned through the Department of Global Studies.
Professional Practice Internship Placement
UVA has contracted with EUSA to develop and customize internships in Dublin and Prague. Internships are available in a variety of professional fields – private sector business, political parties, law, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), hospitals, lobby groups, professional associations, and many more. Internship placement is determined by your interest, studies, experience, and academic and professional plans. Once accepted into the IPP Global Summer Program, students interview on-Grounds with members of the EUSA team to discuss the internship placement, and your goals and expectations.
More information: www.eusainternships.org/cities/dublin/student-life.html
You will live in student-shared apartments at University College Dublin (UCD) and similar university affiliated housing in Prague. Suites are comprised of several private bedroom units with a shared living, kitchen and shower space. These units are furnished with work station and generous storage. Launderettes are available in adjacent residence halls. A 24-hour campus security system is in place, and the location is convenient to campus restaurants, coffee shops, bookstore, libraries, health centre, travel centre, bank, and post office. UCD is 4 miles away from the Dublin City Centre and offers transport services to and from Dublin. Prague housing is similarly located in proximity to the city center and modern conveniences.
IPP GLOBAL DUBLIN & PRAGUE ESTIMATED COSTS
See UVA Education Abroad for program information and detailed expenses, financial commitments, and timelines. It is critical that applicants have reviewed and discussed financial expenses, program commitments, and timeline prior to submitting an application.
EXAMPLE BUDGET - IPP GLOBAL DUBLIN 2019
Students are responsible for billable study abroad tuition, program fees, and the non-refundable deposit once they have committed to attending a program.
|Housing-BiIllable by UVA||$2,214.00||$2,214.00|
|Budget Item||All Students|
Total In-State: $8,845.00
Total Out-of-State: $9,166.00
- Committed students are registered in SIS by the ISO; bills are visible in the SIS self-service, and are payable to Student Accounts. For more information regarding billing and payments visit: sfs.virginia.edu/finances. No term statement is issued to students studying abroad.
- Please refer to the Withdrawal and Refund Policy before committing to your program. Once you have committed, you will be subject to the Withdrawal and Refund Policy. In some cases, there will be no refund available.
- The University of Virginia reserves the right to adjust all program charges, without prior notification, for increases associated with but not limited to, the cost of instruction, foreign exchange rates, and Board of Visitors changes to tuition and fees.
- The non-billable items posted above are estimates and will differ for each individual depending on their personal needs, course requirements, and personal choices. Fluctuations in international currency will affect total expenditures.
- The estimated airfare listed above is based on fares provided online October, 2018, with departure from Dulles International Airport (IAD) and arrival in Dublin (DUB). This is an estimate and fares will change with availability at date of purchase.
- CISI medical and emergency insurance is included in the program fee.
- Local transportation necessary to commute to internship sites will cost a minimum 100 euros per month.
- The cost for personal travel and/or cultural and educational excursions beyond the scope of the program is excluded from the budget. Participants from prior programs recommend planning on 400 euros for extracurricular activities.
- The cost to obtain a passport and appropriate visas vary with each individual and is not included as part of this budget sheet.
- The cost of immunization for the area of travel will differ for each individual and has not been included in this budget.
IPP Dublin & Prague Summer 2019 Dates:
|IPP Global Application Open||12/01|
|Required IPP Interviews (see Education Abroad for instructions)||01/21 - 02/15|
|Program Selection/Notification (rolling)||by 02/20|
|Commitment deadline 5 days from date of notification|
|EUSA Interviews (on Grounds or virtual)||Week of 03/04|
|Required Education Abroad Orientation||Week of 03/04|
|Required IPP Global Pre-departure Orientation||Week of 04/15|
|Arrival in Dublin or Prague||06/07|
|Orientation Activities and On-Site Internship Meetings||06/10 - 06/14|
|IPP Global Session Duration||06/17 - 08/09|