The Wallerstein Scholarship was established in 1973 at the University of Virginia by a gift from Ruth and Morton Wallerstein to foster interest in and/or research in Virginia local government. The Virginia Municipal League, the Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service, and the Internship Placement Program at UVA administer the Wallerstein Scholarship collaboratively.
The Wallerstein Scholarship provides financial and academic support for students attending the University of Virginia or the College at Wise to intern in Virginia local government. Four $2,500 scholarships are awarded annually for the Summer Session.
Applicants must secure an approved internship in Virginia local government under the auspices of the Internship Placement Program and enroll in one of the Internship Placement Program’s summer internship options. Successful applicants must be accepted into the Internship Placement Program and successfully complete its academic requirements and satisfy all Wallerstein requirements.
Four $2,500 scholarships will be awarded.
- Virginia resident
- Current 2nd or 3rd year undergraduate student, or graduate student at UVA or the College at Wise
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.25
- Enrolled for at least one semester after the end of the internship
- Secured or offered an approved internship in a department or agency of a city, town, or county government or other local government or regional entity in Virginia (e.g., planning district commissions (PDCs) or authorities)
- Local government internships in the Central Virginia area, found in the online IPP Internship Listing, are Wallerstein eligible sites.
- You may also seek a Virginia local government internship on your own via Virginia city and county local government websites. The IPP Director must approve all internships not currently posted in the IPP Internship Listing. You must seek approval prior to (date TBD).
- Internships with state and federal government or non-profit organizations are NOT Wallerstein eligible sites.
- Satisfy all requirements of the Wallerstein Scholarship
- Complete IPP Summer Application
- Schedule and complete a IPP Interview
- Consistent with IPP requirements, intern for eight weeks during UVA’s Summer Session
- Enroll in and complete the requirements of the Internship Placement Program (SOC 4800)
- Submit and review the results of the SOC 4800 paper with the internship supervisor
Internship Placement Program: TBD
Wallerstein Scholarship: March 31, 2019
The Wallerstein-IPP scholars will be evaluated and selected on academic record, public service, work record, relevance of the internship, and expressed interest in local government. Selections for the Wallerstein-IPP Scholarship will be announced in late spring.
Terms and Conditions
Wallerstein-IPP Scholarship recipients must complete the entire internship. Failure to complete the internship will be considered a material breach of the program requirements subjecting the student to forfeiture or repayment of the scholarship funds. Exceptions to the forfeiture/repayment requirement will be granted only in extreme and unusual circumstances as determined by the sole discretion of the Wallerstein Selection Committee.