Explore careers, gain professional experience, skills, and expand your network in Charlottesville during the academic year or summer! Over 300 internship placements are available each year.
For over 40 years, UVA has connected students with quality professional internships with public sector and private industry organizations in Charlottesville as an important part of its public service mission. The UVA Internship Placement Program continues this tradition offering you a customized placement with a prequalified internship matched to your career field of interest for the summer, semester, or academic year.
While internship placement cannot be guaranteed, one application provides you with consideration for multiple opportunities, professional skill development through the application process, and review for all sessions.
- Customized internship placement
- Pre-qualified internships
- Professional Development Workshop
- Develop skills necessary for future opportunities
- In-depth industry knowledge and experiences
- Expand your network
- UVA Career Center support during internship
Connect your internship with a semester-long one credit internship reflection course (UNST 3510) to enhance the internship experience. The course is offered during the fall and spring semesters features topics such as organizational development, leadership, team dynamics, professional skills, and career management to deepen your understanding and internship work. The course is completed concurrently or post internship. A maximum of two credits (two semesters) can be completed through the Advanced Internship Placement Program.
Note: Some internship sites require credit due to employment policies.
To be eligible for the Internship Placement Program or Advanced Internship Placement Program, students must:
- be a UVA undergraduate student
*Priority is given to upperclassmen in the College of Arts & Sciences
- have an overall and major GPA of at least 2.5
- be in good academic standing
- have a clear disciplinary record
- be able to meet the health, age, academic, security, and/or related internship criteria of the sponsoring organization
- commitment to the program requirements, policies, and professionalism
- Advanced Only: Class schedule accommodation for one credit UNST course
In accepting an IPP internship, students agree to complete the following:
- Academic Year/Semester Session requires 10 hours/week for the duration of the session (see dates below)
- Summer Session requires 20 hours/week (see dates below)
- Mandatory IPP Intern Orientation
- IPP "Reflections of the Week" journal for each week of the session
- UNST 3510 if required by the internship site
- Adherence to IPP professional conduct policies and human resource policies outlined by hosting organization
- Intern Performance Evaluation
Note: Students are not permitted to pursue IPP internships outside of the program; doing so is a violation of program policies and requirements that ensure quality internship experiences.
Choose from one of the available sessions:
- 2018 Summer: 06/18/2018 – 08/10/2018
- 2018-19 Academic Year: 08/28/2018 – 04/30/2019
- 2018 Fall: 08/28/2018 – 12/07/2018
- 2019 Spring: 01/14/2019 – 04/30/2019
- 2018 Summer & Academic Year (Clinical Research Internships):06/18/2018 – 04/30/2019
- Resume review in Newcomb 170 during office hours: Monday - Friday, 12-5pm.
- Review the Internship Placement Program eligibility and commitment guidelines.
- Explore IPP internships - Search <IPP> under Handshake Jobs.
- Sign in to Handshake
- Register for the Internship Placement Program.
- Select Events
- Select Career Fairs
This module contains a virtual event registration program supporting the Internship Placement Program
- Select the 2018-19 Internship Placement Program
- Select Join Event
- Register and pay $95.00 application fee.
Indicate "fee waiver" in application if eligible for work study; refund will be applied to your application.
- Complete application
Indicate 5 internship preferences with title/job id. Search "IPP" under Handshake Jobs
- Receive a confirmation and invitation to interview with the Internship Placement Program team.