With an over 40-year history at the University of Virginia (UVA), the Internship Placement Program (IPP) connects undergraduate students with customized professional internships. The supervised internship is completed over 10 hours per week in the Semester (15 weeks) and Academic Year Sessions (30 weeks) and 20 hours per week in the Summer Session (8 weeks). Students participate in an academic seminar while enrolled in the program. This 1 credit academic seminar, UNST 3510: Internship Reflection, focuses on organizational development, team dynamics, professional skills, and career management. Paired together the seminar and the internship aim to support a tailored experiential learning opportunity for students as they explore their career goals, interests, values, and talents. Program oversight from the UVA Career Center and IPP faculty instructors ensures the quality of the internship experience while a dedicated network of professionals who serve as internship supervisors provide students with invaluable mentoring, skill building, and professional development.
The UVA Internship Placement Program begins with intern recruitment, selection, and preliminary matching to ensure partners receive the best possible intern for consideration. The program provides professional development, such as a mandatory Intern Orientation and Professional Skills Workshop, and ongoing support to ensure interns are prepared and successful contributors and learners in your organization. Internship supervisors collaborate in this learning process by completing performance evaluations to assess intern professional development, learning outcomes, and quality of experience. Internship sites are pre-qualified to meet UVA standards and guidelines established for internships by the Department of Labor Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Summer, semester only, and full academic year internship options
- Assistance with developing your internship description and learning objectives
- Intern recruitment and pre-screening prior to internship placement
- Required Intern Orientation and Professional Skills Workshop for all interns prior to starting their internship
- Supplemental 1 credit academic seminar, UNST 3510: Internship Reflection completed by all interns
- Ongoing program management and support from IPP team
Private, public, non-profit, start-up, and community organizations across a diverse range of industries are represented in the Internship Placement Program. Organizations must meet the following criteria to participate:
- Ability to participate in Summer Session (20 hours/week for 8 weeks) or Academic Year/Semester Sessions (10 hours/week for 10 weeks per semester)
- For in-person internships, offer interns a professional work space that is not a home business location
- Consist of a staff of at least three members (start-up founders are encouraged to apply if all other criteria can be met)
- Appoint a supervisor to support the internship experience and fulfill program requirements
- Develop an internship learning plan with intern at the beginning of the internship
- Complete the IPP performance evaluation process
- Adhere to internship guidelines and requirements as dictated by the Department of Labor Fair Labor Standards Act
- Participate in Supervisor Orientation
Upcoming Sessions & Recruitment Timeline
Choose from one of the upcoming sessions:
- Summer 2021: 05/24/2021 - 07/16/2021
- Academic Year 2021-2022: 08/24/2021 - 12/07/2021; 01/19/2022 - 05/03/2022
- Spring 2022: 01/19/2020 - 05/03/2022
|General IPP Timeline||Date|
|Student Recruitment||January - March|
|Intern Preliminary Placement Notification||Mid-March|
|Final Organization Interview Period||March-April|
|IPP Placement Commitment Deadline||End of April|
|Intern Orientation & Professional Skills Workshop - Summer Session||June|
|Intern Orientation & Professional Skills Workshop - Academic Year Session||August|
*The majority of IPP intern recruiting and intern placement for Academic Year and Summer Sessions occurs each Spring semester. However, IPP re-opens recruiting prior to the start of each semester to provide students opportunities to gain experience throughout the year and new organizations to join IPP.
Feel free to contact email@example.com for a team member to consult with you about your internship opportunities.