There are different types of post-baccalaureate programs. The information below describes programs by category, highlights resources to begin a post-baccalaureate search, and highlights several programs within the region.
- Career Changer: These are for students who did not complete health professional program pre-requisites during their undergraduate degree. Thus, they consist of the basic science coursework required to apply to a health professional school.
- Academic Record Enhancer: These are for students who completed the pre-requisite coursework required to apply to a health professional program, but hope to enhance an existing undergraduate record.
- Special Masters Program: These are geared for students who completed the science pre-requisite coursework to apply to a health professional program. They allow students to complete coursework at the graduate level and often include a research experience component. Students earn a masters degree upon completion of the program.
- Programs for Students from Underrepresented Populations: These are intended for students who identify as underrepresented in healthcare or economically and/or educationally disadvantaged.
- Non-Degree Seeking / Special Student Status: This is not considered a formal post-baccalaureate program, but instead means that you could enroll as a student and select the courses you wish to take to complete or enhance your academic record for application purposes.
Resources to Begin Your Search
- American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM)
- ExploreHealthCareers.org Enrichment Programs Finder
Programs in the Region
- Drexel University School of Medicine (MSP) and Drexel University Veterinary Medical Sciences
- Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) Post- Baccalaureate Pre-Med Program
- Eastern Virginia Medical School Biomedical Sciences Medical Masters Program
- George Squared Biomedical Sciences Certificate Program
- Georgetown University Special Master’s Program (SMP) in Physiology
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine Biomedical Sciences Program
- UPenn Specialized Studies Program
- Temple University School of Medicine Advanced Core in Medical Science Post Bac Pre-Med Program
- VCU School of Medicine Pre-Medical Health Sciences Certificate Program (CERT)