Please visit the Sociology major page for more information about this major/concentration at the University of Virginia.
Field of Study: The study of social life, social organization, and the social cause and consequences of human behavior.
Post-Graduate Occupations of Past Sociology Majors
- Labor Relations Specialists
- Race Relations Specialists
- College Deans, Recruiters
- College Advisors
- Graphic Designers
- Event Planners
- Marketing Specialists
- American Sociological Association Resources for Students
- International Sociological Association
- Society for the Study of Social Problems
- The American Society for Criminology
- Justice Studies Association
- Global Studies Association of North America
Build Your Resume
Don't forget to pursue opportunities outside of your schoolwork. Your major is one of many lenses you might use to look at possible careers. Explore UVA Career Center resources on internships, externships, part-time jobs, and extracurricular activities. Actively participating in these experiences can help clarify current goals and future interests, while building skills that employers want. Below are some ideas on how you can enhance your resume:
- Work on skills such as analytical, organizational, research, interpersonal, computer, leadership, teamwork, and oral/written communication.
- To enhance graduate or professional school opportunities, maintain a high grade point average, secure strong faculty recommendations, and join student or professional organizations.
- Gain relevant experience outside of the classroom through work, internship, volunteer, and research opportunities.
- Get involved with a population of interest (i.e., children, college students, elderly adults) and develop multicultural sensitivity and understanding.