Please visit the Department of Astronomy for more information about this major/concentration at the University of Virginia.
Field of Study: The study of the universe and its contents: planets, stars, black holes, galaxies, and quasars.
Post-Graduate Occupations of past Astronomy Majors
- I.T. Specialists
- Observatory Directors
- Intelligence/Data Analysts
- Human Resource Managers
Build Your Resume
Don't forget to pursue opportunities outside of your schoolwork. Your major is one of many lenses you might use to look at possible careers. Explore UVA Career Center resources on internships, externships, part-time jobs, and extracurricular activities. Actively participating in these experiences can help clarify current goals and future interests, while building skills that employers want. Below are some ideas on how you can enhance your resume:
- Develop excellent writing, interpersonal, and communication skills to help you share research with interdisciplinary teams. Public speaking skills and a broad knowledge of astronomy are essential in public-facing jobs.
- Gain experience by working or volunteering at an observatory, science museum, or planetarium.
- Seek out research opportunities with faculty in the field, especially in a specific area of interest.
- Consider pursuing a graduate degree, particularly if interested in research or academia. Keep a high GPA and develop relationships with potential recommendation writers.