Jump to a section:
Choosing & Using Your Major
Only a handful of jobs require specific majors, and the vast majority of careers can be reached through countless different majors. Most college majors don't offer specific preparation for a single type of work. In a survey of UVA Arts and Sciences graduates, only 27% reported a direct connection between their undergraduate major and their current career.
What can you do to choose a major that you love?
- Take the CareerExplorer self-assessment that is designed to help you assess your skills, interests, and values.
- Identify your strengths by taking the CliftonStrengths or Strong Interest Inventory with a UVA Career Counselor.
- Stop by 1515 for a Coffee Chat with a Career Counselor - no appointment needed.
- Talk with your UVA Association Deans, College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Advisors, and College of Arts and Sciences Directors of Undergraduate Programs about your academic path, major requirements, and choosing a major.
Undergraduate Majors at the University of Virginia
Below are the undergraduate majors available at the University of Virginia.
Below is a list of Bachelor of Arts degree and Bachelor of Science degree programs offered by the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Virginia. The full list of undergraduate programs including majors, minors and Distinguished Majors Programs can be found on the UVA College of Arts & Sciences Majors & Minors webpage.
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- B.A. in Public Policy and Leadership
- Accelerated B.A./Master of Public Policy (MPP) Program (New window)">Accelerated B.A./Master of Public Policy (MPP) Program