UVA recognizes the importance of engaging all students, especially those from diverse backgrounds and underrepresented populations that might not have access to professional networks, or career resources.
To support this mission, the UVA Career Center, in partnership with the UVA IDEA Fund, an alumni group that funds innovative initiatives around Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access, created the IDEA Fund Fellowship Program.
- Increased professionalism and overall competiveness for open positions
- In-depth knowledge of organization and understanding of alignment with own interests
- Greater understanding of skills and qualities needed for success and ability to pursue said skills
- Increased access and knowledge to companies aligned with interests
- Become a resource of career knowledge for peer network
Benefits to Employers
- Become a mentor to a diverse group of 2nd and 3rd year UVA students
- Create a potential recruitment pool for open positions
- Students become unofficial ambassadors for the organization’s brand
- Short and low-investment option over a full internship experience
- Fellows are unpaid
- Lodging and travel is the responsibility of the student (scholarships available via the UVA Career Center with support from the IDEA Fund)
Student Nominations & Selection Process
2nd and 3rd year students will be eligible for nomination to the program by UVA faculty and staff. We are requesting that all student nominations be from the following populations:
- students from under-represented minority populations
- transfer students
Students then apply to the program and are selected by a committee. Students indicate interest in industry areas and are thus connected to participating organizations that match those interests.
How You Can Help & Time Commitment
UVA Career Center is seeking a variety of professional settings to be a host for a small cohort of UVA students (no more than 10) for one or two days during the last two weeks of May (May 20th-24th OR May 27th-31st).
Activities could include:
- Attending meetings
- Informational interviews
- Panels or TED style talks
- Skill building workshops
- Shadowing working professionals
- Participating in a small project or challenge (coding, marketing etc.)
If you would like to host a group contact David Lapinski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will contact you directly to assist with any program planning, and discuss any other questions you may have regarding this program. If you’re interested in learning more about how to host an extern, please view our Externship Host Resources page.
Learn More About the UVA IDEA Fund
The UVA IDEA Fund, in collaboration with the Office for Diversity and Equity (ODE), provides action-oriented leadership and support to University initiatives in order to ensure that the values of inclusion, diversity, equity, and access permeate the University community and culture.