Public Health Research Internship with Global Impact Strategies
Global Impact Strategies (giStrat) is a decision analytics firm founded by UVA Professor Jerry White. giStrat provides services and software for social impact. Our easy-to-use cloud-based platform – giCompute - combines the insight of subject matter experts with decision algorithms to predict the likely outcomes of complex issues. Applications include forecasting of multi-factor, multi-stakeholder issues, including negotiations, legislation, political and business risk. Our platform helps organizations and policymakers make wiser decisions faster.
Opportunity: Unpaid Research Internship to Combat the U.S. Opioid Epidemic
Internship Description & Responsibilities
giStrat is seeking a Research Intern based in Charlottesville, VA. The candidate should have a strong interest in public health issues and the opioid crisis. Research will include tracking the opioid epidemic at the state and federal levels, writing literature reviews, compiling data, and running statistical regressions. The candidate should have strong interpersonal skills to communicate proactively giStrat partner organizations and stakeholders. The candidate will be required to learn our decision analytics software.
Essential Job Duties:
Research and Analysis: Assist in the tracking of the opioids crisis on both a state and federal level, specifically tracking legislative efforts and structural factors that correlate with opioid usage and opioid related deaths. Identify and summarize the opioid literature as it pertains to client questions and projects. Compile research and data required to answer client questions. Assist in running regression analysis on compiled data and interpret the outputs as needed, including data visualization for presentations. Assist in identifying the necessary inputs for giCompute analysis as needed.
giCompute User and Trainer: Develop working knowledge of giCompute software. Develop understanding of giCompute applications and train and support clients and partner organizations as needed.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 1-2 years’ work experience, preferably in the area of public health policy
- Excellent writing and editing skill
- Knowledge of the national and state efforts to combat opioids is preferred
- Rudimentary knowledge of state and federal government
- Competency in Microsoft Excel and PPT
- Knowledge of Game Theory, Decision Science, and Statistics is preferred (regression analysis, etc.)
Desired Qualities and Traits
- Analytical mind, comfortable with data collection and analysis
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with team and clients
- Self-starter and initiator with an affinity for multi-disciplinary challenges
- Ability and desire to learn new skills quickly