Energy Intern for Prince William County VA
Prince William County Government | Manassas, Virginia
The Energy Intern position is for an undergraduate student with a desire to gain knowledge about energy efficiency, building science and control systems, utility usage tracking, and energy audits. The energy intern will work with Prince William County’s Energy Coordinator to manage ongoing energy efficiency efforts.
The Property Management Division of the Prince William County Government manages utility costs and consumption for 1.2 million square feet of public service buildings. The Energy Intern will support technical analysis, reporting, and implementation of energy efficiency programs.
• Assist with management of utility bill monitoring.
• Review and maintain County facility benchmarking in Energy Star Portfolio Manager.
• Review building automated controls to identify inefficient operation. Document and report
deficiencies. Implement solutions when possible.
• Conduct energy audits at County facilities. Document and report audit findings.
• Assess building efficiency through analytics software. Document and report deficiencies.
Implement solutions when possible.
• Assist with the development of energy conservation measures (ECM). Evaluate cost effectiveness
of ECM’s and implement when possible.
• Complete other projects as needed.
• Completed at least one year of a college or university degree program focused on engineering, science, energy conservation, architecture, or related.
• Interest in using software tools for energy usage tracking and building operation assessments.
• Exposure to building HVAC systems, lighting, automated controls, plumbing systems, roofs and exteriors is preferred but not required.
• Strong understanding and ability to assess utility consumption data and convert engineering units with respect to energy measurements and cost estimations.
• Willingness and skills to do a combination of communications and coordination, documentation, and detailed technical work.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Work may include working with handheld tools and computers in the field, working in mechanical and electrical rooms, climbing ladders, working outside and working on roofs.
• This is a temporary and part time position not to exceed 120 days during summer.
• The start and end dates are flexible. Daily work schedule is flexible.
• Salary is commensurate with university experience.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com