Capitol Hill Resume and Cover Letter Tips!
It's that time of year again... time to get your resumes ready to include in one of our upcoming Capitol Hill Resume Books! Several times a year, the Public Service and Government career community accepts resumes and cover letters from students interested in being considered for internship and full-time opportunities on Capitol Hill and includes them within a "resume book" that is sent to a number of UVa alumni currently working on the Hill. Because opportunities working on the Hill may not always be advertised online and are widely secured based on "who you know," the Capitol Hill Resume Book is a great way to be considered for these internships and full-time positions.
To have your materials included within one of our books, you will first need to have your resume reviewed by a counselor. In order to make the most of this review, here are a few pointers for you to keep in mind when writing your capitol hill resume:
- Make sure to include all relevant addresses in your contact information, including a permanent address
- Ensure that your GPA is calculated out to the hundredths place (3.24 vs 3.2)
- Make sure your resume does not exceed one page
- Highlight experiences that are relevant to entry level positions on the Hill, including:
- Customer service
- Writing (including memo writing and public policy coursework)
- Analyzing information
- Representing a brand or organization to the public
- Phone banking of any kind
- Campaign or canvassing work
- Political party or student groups
- Relevant experiences from high school related to government work or internships
Once your resume has been reviewed and approved by one of our career counselors, you will be given permission through Handshake to apply to the upcoming Capitol Hill Resume book. We also encourage you to submit a cover letter with your resume using the template below:
Cover Letter Template – Capitol Hill Resume Book
To the Chief of Staff:
My name is [NAME] and I am a [YEAR] student at the University of Virginia, seeking an internship with a [insert your political party affiliation/preference] office on Capitol Hill. I have particular ties to the states of [STATE AFFILIATIONS], specifically the [DISTRICT AFFILIATIONS], based on [TIES TO STATE/DISTRICT – ex. family connections, residence].
My areas of policy interest include [insert interest areas – ex. education, foreign affairs, accountability].
Thank you for considering my resume.