Bank $1,500: McKinsey In STEM Award
McKinsey & Company is excited to announce the inaugural Women in STEM Award. This award will recognize talented women exploring opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and math during their college journey.
The recipient of this Award will receive $1,500, and an invitation to an exclusive STEM leaders group with a discussion board and video chats to build your STEM leaders network, and a dedicated mentor from McKinsey. Whoa, what a deal!
The funding can be used to support summer needs, including project funding, participation fees, living expenses, or may be used as financial aid during the upcoming school year. If you have any questions about whether your activity is eligible, please do not hesitate to reach out to Eileen Douglass at email@example.com.
QUALIFICATIONS: McKinsey & Company will crown a winner who is a first, second or third year woman who is doing at least one of the following:
- Taking classes toward a degree in STEM
- Dedicating at least 1 week of her summer to STEM research, including but not limited to academic research at a hospital or university, independent research for a thesis or academic publication
- Working in a laboratory or other STEM facility
- Working, interning, or volunteering with STEM-related organizations, including large organizations such as World Health Organization, NASA, high tech firms, and established hospitals, as well as local organizations like teaching coding at a local middle school
- Working at a STEM-related start-up, or working in a STEM-related role at a start-up
- Interning or working with a cultural organization, such as a foundation, museum, library, or publication, toward the promotion of STEM subjects
- Teaching, tutoring, or mentoring on STEM topics
- Other projects or activities related to STEM
TO APPLY: Applications are due on April 16, 2017 by 11:59pm ET. Please visit http://www.mckinsey.com/uvastem2017 for more information and to apply.
You will need to submit the following:
- Unofficial Transcript
- Short Description qualifying activity and what get’s you excited about STEM (max 250 words) as a PDF under “Other Documents”
TESTIMONIALS: Check out what Women in STEM at McKinsey have to say about their experiences. Who knows, one of them may become your mentor :)...
“Through my STEM background, I learned how to approach and solve a problem – Processes I get to apply every day at McKinsey”
- Business Analyst, Washington, D.C.
- UVA- Biomedical Engineering
“Women with STEM backgrounds have excellent analytical skills, strong work ethic, and the ability to overcome adversity – definitely a winning combination at McKinsey and in life”!
- Business Analyst, Toronto
- Stanford-Computer Science, International elations
“McKinsey is a great place for someone with a STEM background to use their skills to solve exciting real world problems while developing a broad business skillset. At McKinsey, I used both my math and computer science skills to design a pricing model to help manufacturing client re-pricing over 300,000 SKUs”.
- Business Analyst, Houston
- College of William and Mary – Mathematics
“Several times I was able to elevate the portfolios of different chemical and fluids vendors – and I believe my STEM background enabled me to make strong contributions to my team”.
- Associate, Houston
- Wellesley – Biological Science, Cal Tech PhD – Environmental Science, UC San Francisco Post PhD – Microbiology
“The analytical reasoning capabilities you build in STEM majors is the gift that keeps on giving at McKinsey. One of my favorite parts of this job is working with clients to break down complex, ambiguous problems”.
- Partner, Atlanta
- Georgia Tech – Industrial Engineering, Harvard – MBA/JD