Skill Development for Careers in Public Service & Government
Interested in a career in public service and government? Want to explore new ways to enhance your resume over winter break? Make the most of your time away from grounds by learning how real nonprofits and government organizations solve problems and manage projects.
Now, you can gain essential skills for public service and government careers in an online, totally free format. Learn hard skills like design thinking and strategic project management that will put you ahead of the pack for all of your public service and government endeavors through Coursera for UVA in the classes Design Thinking and Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management. These courses are designed to be completed in approximately 3 hours per week for 4 weeks or however you decide to structure your time. See below for all of the course information and details and log into Coursera to get started today!
What You’ll Learn:
- What design thinking is and when to use it
- How to prepare to see and take action when opportunity arises
- How to use design thinking to generate innovative ideas
- How to take the many ideas you generate and determine which ones are likely to produce specific, desired outcomes
Skills You’ll Gain:
- Strategic Thinking
- Design Thinking
- Innovation Management
- Design Management
Approximate Completion Time: 10 hours to complete (Suggested: 5 weeks of study, 1-3 hours/week)
P.S. Attend our Design Thinking Career Accelerator Panel in the spring to learn how UVA alums use this skill in their work!
Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management
What You’ll Learn...
- How to initiate, define and organize a project
- How to develop a project plan, including scoping, sequencing tasks, and determining a critical path
- How to assess, prioritize and manage project risk
- How to execute projects and use the earned value approach for monitoring and controlling progress
Skills You’ll Gain...
- Risk Analysis
- Project Planning
- Project Management
Approximate Completion Time: 12 hours to complete (Suggested: 4 weeks of study, 2-3 hours per week)
P.S. Attend our Project Management Career Accelerator Panel in the spring to learn more about this role from UVA alums!