This new free eight-week bootcamp will be taught by Brendan Boler, Presidential Fellow in UVA School of Data Science. He previously spent seven years as a Professor at the McIntire School of Commerce. His research and teachings are focused on better understanding the cognitive and social psychology behind effective decision making, experiential learning, data-driven storytelling, and predictive analytics. He previously served as an executive within Accenture's Customer Insight (Marketing Analytics) practice.
This immersive (free) program is designed to help students gain the knowledge, skills, and confidence needed to excel during the fall recruiting season. During this program, students will learn a hypothesis-driven structured problem-solving approach used by many top strategy consulting firms and apply this approach to help improve their own skills in case interviews.
Students who opt-in to the companion program, Propel (UVA’s project-based learning initiative), will have the additional opportunity to apply skills gained in the consulting boot-camp to real-world problems. Students will present their strategic analysis and recommendations to groups of alumni at the conclusion of the 2-week Propel project. Each team will be assigned an alumni mentor who will help to further coach and advise teams through each project.
- Familiarize students with what consultants do in practice
- Demystify the networking and case interview process and help students gain confidence for interview season (and beyond)
- Give students experience with hypothesis-driven problem-solving approaches
- Provide students with the tactical skills necessary for consulting success
- Help students avoid the most common pitfalls of new consultants
- Individually improve students’ core skills in data analytics using excel and data-driven storytelling using PowerPoint and storyboarding for consulting
- Give students a sense of the roles and responsibilities of members of a consulting team
- Have fun and take chances in a risk-free environment!
The course will include 8 sessions (each session is approximately 1.5 hours) and run from June 1st to July 27th. Registration information will go live on May 4th in Handshake. Please contact David Lapinski, Director of Employer Relations and Experiential Learning at email@example.com with questions.
For additional information and answers to frequently asked questions, please visit the Management Consulting Bootcamp FAQ page.