How do I apply to a Hoos Internship Accelerator (HIA) internship?
When are applications due?
Application deadlines will be dependent on each specific internship opportunity; however, the first round of internship applications will be due April 18, 2021. Second-round applications are due May 16, 2021.
First-Round Key Dates & Deadlines
- April 1, 2021: Internship postings are live on Handshake.
- April 18, 2021: Deadline for students to apply to internships.
- April 22–May 6, 2021: Employers offer virtual or phone interviews.
- May 7–10, 2021: Students receive internship offers.
- May 17, 2021: Deadline for students to respond to internship offers.
- June 1–June 21, 2021: Internships begin. Start dates vary depending on the employer.
Second-Round Key Dates & Deadlines*
- May 2, 2021: Second-round deadline for employers to post internships.
- May 16, 2021: Deadline for students to apply to internships.
- May 18 – May 28, 2021: Employers offer virtual or phone interviews.
- June 1 – June 4, 2021: Students receive internship offers.
- June 9, 2021: Deadline for students to respond to internship offers.
- June 21, 2021: Internships begin. Start dates may vary depending on the employer.
How many HIA internships can I apply to?
Students can apply to up to 10 internship postings in the first round and an additional 10 internship postings in the second round.
Who can apply to the program?
Currently enrolled rising third-years and fourth-years at UVA who will be enrolled in the fall following their internship and are in academic good standing.
I am an international student; can I apply to the program?
Yes, however international students will need to review (or filter) each opportunity in Handshake to determine if the specific opportunity you are interested in is available to international students.
How many hours per week is an HIA internship?
Hours will vary based on the internship opportunity. A typical internship is 20–25 hours per week.
Will internships be virtual or in-person?
Due to the impact of COVID and unknowns entering the summer, the recommendation is that internships be hosted virtually, but in-person internships will be permitted to be posted by employers.
What sort of technical equipment will I need for an HIA internship?
All students will be expected to have their own computer and Wi-Fi connection to support virtual work. If additional software is required, in some cases, employers may need to provide software downloads for interns.
Please contact David Lapinski, Director of Employer Relations and Experiential Education at UVAInternAccelerator@virginia.edu for more information about HIA.
Go back to the main HIA program page.