8-Week Internship Examples (20-25 hours per week)
EDF offers internships and fellowships for students and recent graduates in a variety of programs and departments throughout the organization. The ultimate goal of our internship and fellowship program is to provide high-quality experiences (including relevant projects and opportunities for networking) that form the foundation for any individual who is serious about pursuing an environmental career.
Healthy oceans are the lifeblood of our planet. But they’re in peril – from climate change, overfishing, habitat destruction, and other threats. That’s why EDF’s Oceans program is working to safeguard the oceans and protect nature, while feeding the planet, creating more secure livelihoods, and bolstering more equitable societies for human well-being. One of the greatest threats to the oceans is overfishing, which is why our dedicated team of scientists, economists and fishery management experts are collaborating with partners around the globe to make sustainable fishing the norm. Through our programs in the U.S., Latin America, and the Asia Pacific, we draw on strong science and economic principles to advance sustainable fishing practices, forward-looking policies, and innovative tools that support the health of our oceans and the people who depend on them for food and their livelihoods.
The Global Initiatives team works to develop and apply tools and approaches that will help spur broader change to improve ocean biodiversity, fisheries, and human well-being. The team’s initiatives include developing, testing, and scaling technology innovations to address monitoring, enforcement, and other business, science, and management needs.
Overall Intern Function
The Blue Economy Research Intern will research and identify pathways where fishermen and their communities could play a role in collecting different types of data that are valuable as part of the Blue Economy. With guidance from the Ocean Technology Solutions team, the Intern will draft a report on the industries and players identified, create a list of recommendations for engagement and generate a systems map of this space to further advance EDF’s thinking on the Blue Economy. The Intern will be an integral part of the Ocean Technology Solutions team during the course of the internship, participating in team meetings and other functions.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Research on various existing and emerging ocean industries.
- Research on existing efforts in the fishing industry to collect/make use of data that has broader value beyond that for the fishing industry.
- Interviews and conversations with representatives from the fishing and other industries.
- Design a systems map describing relationships between players in this space.
- Synthesize a comprehensive report describing the results of the research
- Collaborate with the Ocean Technology Solutions team members to provide resources and education to the Oceans Program team on these topics through trainings, presentations, fact sheets, and other methods.
- Participate in team meetings and check-ins to solicit input and gauge progress.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team setting and have the ability to work independently when projects are due.
- Demonstrate initiative and problem-solving skills.
Earnest Research is a VC-backed data innovation startup driven to change the way professionals understand consumer and business behavior. Working with world-class data partners, we transform raw data into a source for business and investment professionals to ask better questions so they can make better decisions. We believe, in the right hands, data has the power to change the way we work.
Data Analyst Summer Intern
The Data Analyst team at Earnest is passionate about working with large datasets and has a strong interest in technology and consumer trends. As a Data Analyst Summer Intern, you will be immersed in a fast-paced environment, with an opportunity to learn the core skills of a Data Analyst throughout the 8-week internship program. Candidates should be top performers who are willing to work hard in an environment where initiative, creativity, maturity, and enthusiasm for learning are highly valued. Formal external and internal training will be provided as part of the internship program on a variety of topics including, but not limited to financial statement analysis, excel best practices, Tableau software, and SQL programming.
- Create data libraries to structure billions of rows of data
- Create and maintain product features that enable clients to interact with structured data
- Research company information and consumer trends to identify population metrics for backtests
- Seek out areas for operational improvement and take initiative to address them
- Interns will have the opportunity to create and present a final data project to senior members of our product teams.
- Must be on track to receive a Bachelor’s degree in December 2021 or Spring 2022
- Authorized to work permanently in the U.S.
- Exceptional analytical skills and willingness to learn Microsoft Excel and SQL
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Hard-working, ethical, and thoughtful team player
- Familiarity with Tableau software is a plus, but not required
- Ability to handle confidential/sensitive information and exercise exceptional judgment
Please contact David Lapinski, Director of Employer Relations and Experiential Education at UVAInternAccelerator@virginia.edu for more information about HIA.
Go back to the main HIA program page.