Due to COVID-19, our Business and Healthcare Academies have been canceled until further notice.
The DC Business Academy is a one-week intensive training program that is intended to expand on your liberal arts education and build competency in five core business disciplines:
- Project Management
Students will increase their business acumen in:
- Design Thinking
- Team Dynamics
- Presentation Skills
Students will also develop an understanding of how their liberal arts backgrounds have uniquely prepared them for business-oriented careers in these areas. Through active engagement with alumni mentors and hands-on cases, students will develop a deeper recognition of the day-to-day roles entry-level professionals encounter in various business disciplines and through intensive career coaching sessions, the students will enhance their ability to communicate their personal story to prospective employers. Previous employers included: Clutch, Accenture, ESRI and other business industry leaders.
The January 2020 program will take place from Sunday, January 5 - Friday, January 10. Please contact Megan Saunders at email@example.com with any questions.
This is the current program timeline:
- Applications Due: Sunday, November 3
- Request for Financial Assistance Due: Sunday, November 3
- Students Notified of Acceptance/Deferral: Monday, November 18
- Student Program Dues Deadline: Monday, December 2
- Student Orientation: Thursday, December 12 Program Dates: January 5 - January 10
To be considered for the program you must complete the attendee survey attached via the Handshake event.
The DC Business Academy is $650, which includes all food, lodging, and transportation around the city. Once selected you will be prompted to complete the program fee via Handshake.
Limited financial assistance is available for students who need support paying the $650 program fee. Please contact Megan Saunders at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Each day may be slightly different but typically we will arrive at each location by 8am and leave around 6:30pm. This is an immersive opportunity and casework will require group meetings back in the dorms.
Sunday, January 5th:
- Arrive at Homewood Suites by Hilton
- Dinner in Arlington
- Program Kickoff and Movie Viewing
Monday, January 6th:
Host: Kearney & Co.
- Deloitte Business Chemistry
- Kearney Presentation
- CEO Panel
- Introduction to Accounting
- Group Accounting Case and Dinner
Tuesday, January 7th:
- Group Presentations: Accounting Case
- Overview of Marketing Strategies
- Data Analysis and Visualization Talk
- Digital Marketing Overview
- Group Marketing Case and Dinner
Wednesday, January 8th:
- Group Presentations: Marketing Case
- Global Marketing Trends: Monetary and Fiscal Policy
- Corporate Finance and Financial Markets
- Finance Activity
- Networking Dinner
Thursday, January 9th:
- Consulting – Hypothesis Based Approach
- Project Management Discussion
- Alumni Panel and PM Module
- Introduction to Capstone Case
- Group Capstone Case Study
Friday, January 10th:
- Group Presentations: Capstone Case
- Introduction to Design Thinking
- Global Business Presentation
- Business as a Career
Students are required to stay at lodging reserved by the UVA Career Center throughout the duration of the program. All reservations are made by the UVA Career Center.