Lorena is a third-year student completing an Echols Interdisciplinary Major on Identity Politics and Legal Theory. She is originally from Cuba but grew up in the Canary Islands, Spain and later moved to Las Vegas, Nevada before starting her education at UVA. She is passionate about empowering historically marginalized communities through advocacy and employment opportunities. Lorena also enjoys supporting students through her role as a Resident Adviser, she is involved with the University Guide Service, the Taste of Home Foundation, and Dreamers on Grounds.
Tatiyahna, who joined the Career Center in Fall 2019, is a second-year with a prospective double major in French and Global Studies. She is originally from the Tidewater region of Virginia but recently moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She is devoted to connecting students from underrepresented communities to positions that will nurture their passions and provide them with opportunities for future success. When she is not working at the Career Center, Tatiyahna enjoys connecting with tourists through the University Guide Service, having tea with her residents in Old Dorms, and dancing with the Virginia Dance Company.
The UVA Career Center is committed to accommodating the diverse needs of the student body. The Diversity Liaisons are undergraduate students who serve as liaisons between employers and historically marginalized communities within the University. With hundreds of student organizations across Grounds, they serve as the direct bridge between companies and student populations. As members of the student body themselves, the main goal of the Diversity Liaison centers around helping recruiters diversify their workforce while educating the student population on different career paths and opportunities.
- Facilitate connections with student organizations across Grounds
- Coordinate custom career-related programs (see examples listed below)
- Communicate upcoming events, internship/job postings, and upcoming opportunities through weekly newsletters to relevant student organizations
- Learn how best ways to articulate your company's values and opportunities through feedback directly from the Diversity Liaisons
Diversity Liaison Sponsors for 2020-2021
Diversity Liaison Sponsorship
Funds from this sponsorship are used to pay for a Student Diversity Liaison to work in the Career Center and help lead Diversity outreach and programming.
- Early Registration for Recruiting
- Title Sponsorship on the Diversity Liaison Program
- Lunch with students and presentation
- Resume Books
- Facebook Promotion for up to 2 info sessions/events
- Event Pinning in Handshake for up to 2 info sessions/events
- Targeted email for Fall and Spring Positions
- ¼ Page Ad in Hoos Career Guide (6,000 distributed copies)
- Company Profile on Diversity Page of UVA Website
Examples of Program Partnerships
Diversity in the Workplace Panel with Capital One
In partnering with Capital One, a diverse group of panelists spoke about their experiences in their careers. They offered students advice on how to overcome challenges in the workplace. This platform offered the company an opportunity to show their diversity and inclusion efforts. It also provided students with a welcoming environment to network with recruiters.
Design Thinking Workshop with Capital One
A team of recruiters presented a skill development workshop for students to learn about Design Thinking as it applies to their careers. Students had an opportunity to learn about the company’s recruitment opportunities and ask questions about the company.
Excel Workshop with FTI Consulting
Students had the opportunity to enhance their skills while having one-on-one interactions with employers. This event introduced students to the company’s everyday use of various skills. It also provided a platform for students to network and learn about recruitment opportunities.