Students with disabilities may experience unique considerations during career development and searching and preparing for the next step (e.g. job, continued education, volunteering, etc.). To determine the best steps for you, please schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor.
Jump to a section:
- Career Resources
- Job Search and Networking Tools
- UVA Student Groups and Resources
- Professional Associations
- Learning Disabilities Association of America provides information and resources for individuals with disabilities, including topics on postsecondary education and workplace issues. Check out their Resources for Job Seekers.
- The National Business and Disability Council: leading national resource on issues related to disabled Americans in the workforce
- Bestcolleges.com: this site provides a wealth of useful information for students including sections on Your Legal Rights, Campus Life and Resources
- PeopleResources.org: connects people with disabilities to personal development links, career resources, pertinent news, education resources and counseling services
- The Job Accommodation Network (JAN): free consulting service that provides information about job accommodations, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the employability of people with disabilities
- Resources for Students with Disabilities: this site is a resource provided by affordablecollegesonline.org and offers a numerous resources for students with disabilities including: visual, Cognitive, Physical, Speech, Autism, Hearing Impairments and Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). Also of value are resources for students transitioning from high school to college and college to the search.
- US Department of Labor, Office of Disability Employment Policy
- Institute on Employment and Disability (Cornell University)
- Federaljobs.net: describes hiring options, certifications and accommodations for students with disabilities interested in pursuing a career in the federal government
- The Workforce Recruitment Program: recruiters from federal agencies conduct personal interviews with college students with disabilities; recruiter will visit UVA in the Fall semester; contact Dreama Johnson, Career Counselor for Outreach, at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested
- The Riley Guide: lists several employment resources and job listings for individuals with disabilities
- Emerging Leaders: highly competitive program placing college students with disabilities in summer internships
- recruitABILITY: provides an online, targeted recruiting site that effectively connects proactive employers with disabled job seekers
- JobAccess: services include resume building, posting services, and online applications
- Entry Point!: program of the American Association for the Advancement of Science offering internship opportunities for students with disabilities in science, engineering, mathematics, and computer science
- Career Opportunities for Students with Disabilities: consortium of universities, national employers and government agencies focused on the career employment of college graduates with disabilities
- The National Coalition for Students with Disabilities: strengthens the legal rights of persons with disabilities; provides information on employment, scholarships, telecommuting, and internships
- College Scholarships and Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities: also sponsored by affordablecollegesonline.org this site provides information on resources students can utilize to help mediate college expense.
- The Student Disability Access Center (SDAC) supports students through education, consultation, and advocacy to reach their goal of creating an equitable academic experience.
- Disability Studies Initiative: a group of faculty from across the university committed to exploring the social and cultural aspects of disability. We regularly host disability-focused events.
- Disability@UVA is a blog sponsored by the UVA Disability Advocacy and Action Committee that features essays by individuals with disabilities.
- Virginia's College Guide for Students with Disabilities
- College Resources for Students with Disabilities
Resources for Scholarships/Fellowships:
You can find out about a number of professional associations based by major or industry interest through resources available to you in your Handshake account.
Go to the Resources tab and search for the following resources, “What Can I Do With This Major?” and Career Insider by VAULT.
- National Organization of Nurses With Disabilities
- Disabled Businesspersons Association
- The Society of Healthcare Professionals with Disabilities