Jump to a section:
- Roles and Work Environment
- Skills and Training
- Industry Timeline
- Find Opportunities
- Applying and Interviewing
- Additional Industry Resources
There are a variety of business related functions within the fashion industry, focused on developing, managing, selling, and accounting for products and services within fashion organizations.
Examples of Retail & Buying Jobs:
- Assistant Merchandiser
- Marketing Assistant
- Market Analyst
Many different companies exist within Retail & Buying; from small start-ups to global brands, there is something for everyone.
Examples of companies within Retail & Buying:
- Attention to detail
- Interest in design and fashion
- Creative thinking skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Strong analytical thinking skills
- Ability to recognize and identify new trends
- A bachelor’s degree is required for most entry-level positions, specifically those within a corporate setting.
Leadership development and rotational programs within retail and buying typically recruit students during the fall semester. However, other opportunities within retail and buying exist year round; therefore, there is not a set timeline.
- National Retail Federation Job Board
- American Purchasing Society Job Board
- Have an employer in mind? Check out their website and connect with UVA alumni who work there!
Resumes and Cover Letters
First impressions are critical in the job search. Developing and executing the best documents possible will help to ensure that you put your best foot forward and increase the likelihood of progressing to an interview. Make sure to check out the Resumes and Cover Letters sections of the website for helpful advice and sample resumes and cover letters.
If you have never interviewed before, make sure to check out the Interviewing section of our website. Log on to Handshake to schedule a mock behavioral interview with a career counselor for practice. Follow-up after every interview with a thank you email or letter.
Blogs and Industry Research
- ApparelSearch.com Trend Board Fashion Trend Report
- TWU's Vivid Images Presentation Boards
- How to create Mood Boards by Creatively Daring
- National Retail Federation
- Retail Industry Leaders Association
- American Purchasing Society
- The Sales Management Association
- The Fashion Group International