Please visit the Department of Anthropology for more information about this major/concentration at the University of Virginia.
Concentrations: Global Culture and Commerce Minor
Field of Study: The study of humankind – origin, development, and functioning of societies & cultures.
Post-Graduate Occupations of past Anthropology Majors
- Marketing Directors
- FBI Agents
- Foreign Affairs Officers
- Immigrant Officers
- Media Analysts
- Community Outreach Specialists
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists
- National Association for the Practice of Anthropology
- National Association of Student Anthropologists
- Society for American Archaeology
- Society for Historical Archeology
- American Academy of Forensic Science
Build Your Resume
Don't forget to pursue opportunities outside of your schoolwork. Your major is one of many lenses you might use to look at possible careers. Explore UVA Career Center resources on internships, externships, part-time jobs, and extracurricular activities. Actively participating in these experiences can help clarify current goals and future interests, while building skills that employers want. Below are some ideas on how you can enhance your resume:
- Consider pursuing graduate education. An advanced degree is necessary for most professional anthropological careers.
- Look at specializing in one of the four main branches of anthropology—archeology, cultural anthropology, linguistics, and physical anthropology—or delve even further into a specific subfield like forensic anthropology.
- Spend a summer excavating and learning in a field school or travel to study other cultures.
- Gain research experience by working on faculty projects or as a student employee. Having research and/or work experience (through internships or volunteer positions) is vital.
- Join relevant professional organizations as a student member for access to industry news.
- Build strong communications and organization skills. If your desired career path is in research, develop analytical and computer skills.