Please visit the American Studies major page for more information about this major/concentration at the University of Virginia.
Concentrations: Public Administration
Field of Study: The study of U.S. culture in its regional, national, and global forms.
Post-Graduate Occupations of Past American Studies Majors
- Education Specialists
- Museum Curators
- Account Managers
- Public Affairs Specialists
- Marketing Directors
Build Your Resume
Don't forget to pursue opportunities outside of your schoolwork. Your major is one of many lenses you might use to look at possible careers. Explore UVA Career Center resources on internships, externships, part-time jobs, and extracurricular activities. Actively participating in these experiences can help clarify current goals and future interests, while building skills that employers want. Below are some ideas on how you can enhance your resume:
- Consider pursuing a graduate or professional degree. The interdisciplinary nature of an American Studies major makes provides preparation for advanced education in a wide variety of fields.
- Further develop specialized skills through targeted internships or by taking specialized courses in fields such as finance, statistics, or communications.
- Begin volunteering at relevant organizations as a student.
- Develop strong communication and public speaking skills.