Making choices about your major, career, or graduate school plan is challenging. The UVA Career Center is here to help guide you through the process and provide you resources to help make you more successful.
Explore Your Options
Start by finding out more about your career options by doing research, connecting with professionals, and gaining hands on experience through the UVA Career Communities, volunteering, clubs, and internships.
- Seek diversity in your courses to explore possible majors/degree programs.
- Get involved with student organizations and extracurricular activities.
- Find out where UVA alumni in your field have been employed through LinkedIn.
- Brainstorm ways to get hands-on experience through part-time jobs, student organizations, and volunteering.
- Attend UVA Career Center workshops, events, and career fairs.
- Get an internship during the summer or academic year to gain relevant job experience and test out the field.
Assess Your Interests & Values
Career assessments can help you identify career interests and give you a starting place for your job search. The following career assessments are available through the UVA Career Center.
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Strong Interest Inventory
- Live Vaules Inventory
- Get your resume, cover letter, or other application materials reviewed at the Career Center.
- Become familiar with LinkedIn to build your network.
- Continue networking! Follow up with any and all employer contacts.
- Approach each job application individually and tailor your materials accordingly.
- Identify potential references and get permission to use their information for applications.
- Create time in your weekly schedule to work on the job search.
- Schedule graduate school entrance exams and preparation courses, as needed.
- Attend UVA Career Center networking events, information sessions and career fairs to seek out opportunities and explore career options.
- Prepare for interviews. You can conduct a mock interview with a career counselor to practice.
- Search Handshake and other sources for jobs and apply for positions.