Handshake is the ultimate recruiting platform for students! Handshake is where all types of employers put their greatest opportunities and look for UVA students. It's where you can find UVA career resources, apply for jobs, schedule appointments and register for career events.
- Explore and find amazing job and internship opportunities.
- Connect with great companies.
- Learn about your career options.
- Win at life.
Handshake FAQs for Students
- How do I access Handshake?
- How do I learn the new system?
- What do I do if some of my profile information is incorrect?
- I'm getting the error "Your career services center has restricted your ability to apply to jobs. Please contact them to remove this restriction." How do I gain access to apply for positions?
- How do I gain access to OGI positions in Handshake?
- How do I sign up for a Career Community in Handshake?
- How do I find events and information sessions in Handshake?
- How do I request a career advising appointment in Handshake?
- How do I safeguard my job search?
You can access Handshake via the Career Center website (career.virginia.edu) or by going to virginia.joinhandshake.com. Sign in via your NetBadge. We encourage you to complete your profile in order to cut the clutter - get only the job recommendations, messages, and events that matter to you.
Handshake has a number of tutorials and a great support team. Below are quick resources to help you get started with Handshake.
- Knowledge Base (support articles, quick videos, content for students)
- Video Library (student overview, etc.)
- What you’ll see when you first log in
Much of your information is brought over from the Student Information System, which comes straight from the Registrar. We recommend connecting with the Registrar's office to be sure your information is correct in SIS. For additional questions, please contact email@example.com.
Students must complete the UVA Recruiting Policy orientation in order to have access to apply for jobs and internships. Once you have gained access to OGI positions, you can click "Interviews" from your left hand menu to see all OGI positions.
Students must complete the UVA Recruiting Policy orientation in order to have access to OGI jobs. Once you have gained access to OGI positions, you can click "Interviews" from your left hand menu to see all OGI positions.
Students may identify interest in one or more career communities by clicking "Career Interests" on the right hand side and completing their profile.
Information sessions and career workshops can be found by clicking "Events" from the left hand menu. Career fairs can be found by clicking "Fairs" from the left hand menu.
To request an appointment via Handshake, click "Appointments" from the left hand menu. Currently, all degree-seeking student may schedule appointments with the UVA Career Center. Additionally, students in the School of Engineering and MS in Data Science program may schedule with their career services offices. Coming this fall, students in Batten will have the ability to schedule online with their career offices.
If you do not find an appointment time that works for you, please call the career office directly.
We strongly encourage you to review our tips on safeguarding your job search. It is very important for you to educate yourself about potential scams. If you suspect that a Handshake position is fraudulent, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you believe you are the victim of fraud resulting from a job listing, please contact the local police as well.