Timelines for law school applications vary based on the time at which you plan to matriculate to law school. The largest percentage of UVA applicants to law school complete between 1 to 3 bridge years after completion of their undergraduate degree.
Use this table as a guide for the year in which the action items below should occur.
|Entry to Law School directly after UVA||Spring 3rd Year||Summer 3rd Year||Fall 4th Year||Spring 4th Year|
|Entry to Law School with 1 bridge year after UVA||Spring 4th Year||Summer after 4th Year||Fall after 4th Year||Spring after 4th Year|
|Entry to Law School with 2 bridge years after UVA||Spring of 1st year of work||Summer after 1st year or work||Fall during 2nd year of work||Spring during 2nd year of work|
Prior to the fall application cycle in which you intend to apply. This could take place in the spring of your 3rd year, 4th year, or beyond.
- Begin LSAT Prep
- Brainstorm individuals for letters of recommendation
- Set-up LSAT account
- Register for June LSAT
- Ask instructors for letters of recommendation before the beginning of summer
- Begin researching law schools of interest. Consider visiting schools for a tour / open house.
Prior to the fall application cycle in which you intend to apply. This could take place in the summer after your 3rd year, 4th year, or beyond.
- Take June LSAT
- Prepare an outline for your personal statement
- Request official copies of your transcript to be sent to LSAC
- Begin drafting personal statement
- Research law schools
- Follow-up with recommendation writers by the end of the summer/beginning of the fall
It's application time! Law school applications should be submitted in the fall. This could take place in the fall of your 4th year or beyond.
- Begin law school applications on LSAC
- Attend Law School Application Process Meeting
- Attend UVA Graduate and Professional School Fair and speak with law school recruiters
- Prepare for law school interviews
- Retake September LSAT exam if necessary
- Aim to submit applications by end of October/beginning of November
- Double check to make sure application materials were received
Your applications are in and you're waiting for and responding to admission decisions. This could take place in the spring of your 4th year or beyond.
- Send fall transcript to LSAC (if applicable)
- Complete financial aid paperwork