Jump to a Section:
- Candidacy Assessment
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Selecting Schools
- Letters of Reference (LORs)
- Personal Statement
- Interview Preparation
- Physician Assistant School UVA Applicant Statistics
Your preparation for application to PA programs should always begin with assessment of your individual candidacy. Use the ACE Assessment as a guide to self-assess and plan to speak with a Pre-Health Advisor about your progress.
Centralized Application Services for Physician Assistants. This application opens for submission in April of each year. Program start dates vary (January, May, June, August, September), thus application deadlines vary widely. It is always advantageous to apply early, so reach school deadlines well in advance!
The majority of programs require the GRE. Scores should be sent directly to schools for which an applicant is applying and should be less than 5 years old. The test consists of three sections:
1. Verbal Reasoning
2. Quantitative Reasoning
3. Analytical Writing
Test Preparation Resources
There are many types of test preparation resources that vary in cost and approach. Pre-Health Advisors do not endorse any of the providers below, but are happy to speak with you about how you might identify the style of preparation that best fits your needs.
|Educational Testing Service (ETS)||Free - Low|
|Clayborne Education||Low - High|
|Princeton Review||Low - High|
|Manhattan Prep||Mid - High|
|NextStep Test Prep||Free - High|
|Free - High|
It is essential to select schools that are not only a good fit for you academically, but also a good fit for your values, skills, interests, and that will help you become the professional you want to be. Take time to research programs prior to the application process. Here are some factors you should consider:
- Admission requirements: coursework and clinical experiences
- Institutions' mission, goals, curriculum, grading system
- Size of cohort / class
- Location. Where do you want to live? Where will you have a support network in place? What is the cost of tuition and cost of living?
- Where will you complete your clinical rotations? What type of patient population will you serve (i.e. urban, rural)? Will this provide the experiences you hope to gain?
- Does the school's mission and training focus align with your professional interests (i.e. research, personalized medicine, etc)?
Recommended Length of School List: 5 - 7
You should provide 3 LORs and submit through the CASPA Electronic Evaluation Portal. Determine any specific LOR requirements from programs of choice. However, letters are most commonly required by:
- Science Faculty
- Non-Science Faculty
- Physician Assistant
Your personal statement is a distinctive aspect of your application. It begins with reflection. Consider the following questions to begin:
- Why do you want to become an physician assistant? Why is this the profession you have chosen instead of another?
- Think back to your experiences volunteering, shadowing, researching, studying abroad. Can you provide a specific story that deeply impacted you and your decision to become a physician assistant?
- What do you want the committee to know about you as a person or future colleague? What makes you a good fit for the profession?
The CASPA personal statement section includes a 5,000 character limit, including spaces. See CASPA for a formal prompt topic.
- Guidelines for Personal Statements
- Pre-Health Advising Personal Statement Reviews (by appointment)
- UVA Writing Center
Request official transcripts from all institutions attended. Make sure to carefully follow CASPA instruction manual guidelines for specific details on transcript submission to the application service
Pre-health mock interviewing is available to students and alumni preparing for or currently in the health professions application cycle. Interviews are one hour and include a feedback session aimed at increasing your readiness and confidence before an actual admissions interview. To schedule a mock interview complete the following steps.
Schedule Your Mock Interview With an Advisor: Contact the UVA Career Center at 434-924-8900 and indicate you are requesting a Pre-Health Mock Interview.
Complete a Full InterviewStream Mock Interview: Create an InterviewStream account for free. Once you create an account, go to the Home tab and select Conduct Interview. Choose Created for Me and complete the Physican Assistant School Interview.
Submit the Pre-Health Mock Interviewing Form Online: Submit the form including a link to your completed InterviewStream video on the UVA Career Center website.
Come to the Career Center to be Interviewed: Please dress as if this were a real interview. By doing so, you can become comfortable with an interview situation dressed in professional attire. The Pre-Health Advisor will provide feedback as to appropriate interview attire. If you do not have interview attire at this time, please dress in the most appropriate outfit you have available.
*The Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA) only reports the number of applicants who chose to matriculate, not the applicants who were accepted.
|Number of Applicants||Number of Matriculants||Percentage Matriculated|