Please visit the South Asian Studies major page for more information about this major/concentration at the University of Virginia.
Field of Study: The study of the deep historical ties between the many and varied cultures, religions, literatures, and languages of the Middle East.
Post-Graduate Occupations of Past South Asian Studies Majors
- Multiculturalism Educators
- Foreign Policy Analysts
- Social Workers
Build Your Resume
Don't forget to pursue opportunities outside of your schoolwork. Your major is one of many lenses you might use to look at possible careers. Explore UVA Career Center resources on internships, externships, part-time jobs, and extracurricular activities. Actively participating in these experiences can help clarify current goals and future interests, while building skills that employers want. Below are some ideas on how you can enhance your resume:
- Work on developing analytical, critical thinking, and writing skills while gaining knowledge about the cultures, histories, and languages of Asian countries.
- Develop skills relevant to targeted field through internships, part-time or summer jobs, or volunteer experiences.
- If you wish to pursue graduate education, maintain a high GPA, establish relationships with faculty to secure strong recommendations, and gain experience through volunteer, work, or research opportunities.
- Travel as much as possible to Asia to experience it first-hand. Complete at least one study abroad experience.