Please visit the Media Studies major page for more information about this major/concentration at the University of Virginia.
Field of Study: The creative analysis, production, and research into traditional and emerging forms of media.
Post-Graduate Occupations of Past Media Studies Majors
- Career Counselors
- News Reporters
- Marketing Directors
- Communications Directors
- Digital Media Developers
- New York City Film Resource
- Women Make Movies
- Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- American Society of Cinematographers
- Actors' Equity Association
- American Advertising Federation
- Magazine Publishers of America
- Newspaper Association of America
Build Your Resume
Don't forget to pursue opportunities outside of your schoolwork. Your major is one of many lenses you might use to look at possible careers. Explore UVA Career Center resources on internships, externships, part-time jobs, and extracurricular activities. Actively participating in these experiences can help clarify current goals and future interests, while building skills that employers want. Below are some ideas on how you can enhance your resume:
- Build a portfolio of your best work.
- Develop excellent written and communication skills.
- Join relevant student and professional associations to keep up-to-date with the field.
- Pay attention to media trends.
- Search for relevant media internships to gain experience in your desired field.