Please visit the Human Biology major page for more information about this major/concentration at the University of Virginia.
Field of Study: The study of the interplay between modern biology and society.
Post-Graduate Occupations of Past Human Biology Majors
- FDA Agents
- Health Program Coordinators
- Health Educators
- Human Biology Association
- The Society for the Study of Human Biology
- American Institute of Biological Sciences
- American Society of Human Genetics
- The International Society for Computational Biology
- Biology Industry Organization
- Council for the Advancement of Science Writing
- The National Academies
Build Your Resume
Don't forget to pursue opportunities outside of your schoolwork. Your major is one of many lenses you might use to look at possible careers. Explore UVA Career Center resources on internships, externships, part-time jobs, and extracurricular activities. Actively participating in these experiences can help clarify current goals and future interests, while building skills that employers want. Below are some ideas on how you can enhance your resume:
- Consider pursuing a graduate degree in a field of interest
- Become familiar with laboratory procedures, safety, and equipment. Learn to set up, operate, and maintain laboratory equipment in addition to conducting experiments.
- Seek research experiences with faculty and/or take courses with a lab component.
- Join relevant student and professional organizations. Seek leadership roles and make networking contacts.
- Develop strong relationships with potential recommendation writers.