Please visit the Department of English for more information about this major/concentration at the University of Virginia.
Concentrations: Prose, Medieval, Modern, Poetry
Field of Study: A study of ideas, cultures, mores, and concepts through English and American literature of the 19th and 20th centuries.
Post-Graduate Occupations of past English Majors
- Congressional Liaisons
- Business Analysts
- News Editors
- Communications Managers
- Brand Strategists
- Magazine Publishers of America
- Association of American Publishers
- Society for Technical Communication
- National Council of Teachers of English
- American Copy Editors Society
- National Newspaper Publishers Association
- Writers Guild of America
- Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
- American Medical Writers Association
- News Media Alliance
- Society for Scholarly Publishing
Build Your Resume
Don't forget to pursue opportunities outside of your schoolwork. Your major is one of many lenses you might use to look at possible careers. Explore UVA Career Center resources on internships, externships, part-time jobs, and extracurricular activities. Actively participating in these experiences can help clarify current goals and future interests, while building skills that employers want. Below are some ideas on how you can enhance your resume:
- Build a portfolio of your best and/or award-winning pieces.
- Write for campus publications such as literary journals. Build a portfolio of stronger or award-winning pieces.
- Enter writing competitions on- and off-Grounds.
- Volunteer to write or edit publications for community organizations.
- Develop excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Consider graduate or professional school. Maintain a high GPA and secure strong recommendations from faculty.
- Join relevant student and professional associations to keep up-to-date with the field. Network with members and take on leadership roles.