Please visit the McIntire Department of Art for more information about this major/concentration at the University of Virginia.
Concentrations: Cinematography, New Media, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture
Field of Study: Majors acquire essential artistic skills as well as experience in the handling of a wide variety of ideas, materials, and methods, putting students in touch with the problems of creation and with the ideas and practice of artists in the contemporary world.
Post-Graduate Occupations of past Art, Studio Majors
- Event Managers
- Graphic Designers
- Marketing Directors
- Interior Designers
- Property Managers
- American Alliance of Museums
- American Art Therapy Association
- American Craft Council
- American Institute of Graphic Arts
- American Society of Media Photographers
- Animation World Network
- Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design
- Association of Medical Illustrators
- College Art Association (New window)">College Art Association
- Industrial Designers Society of America
- National Cartoonists Society
- National Press Photographers Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
- The Society of Illustrators
Build Your Resume
Don't forget to pursue opportunities outside of your schoolwork. Your major is one of many lenses you might use to look at possible careers. Explore UVA Career Center resources on internships, externships, part-time jobs, and extracurricular activities. Actively participating in these experiences can help clarify current goals and future interests, while building skills that employers want. Below are some ideas on how you can enhance your resume:
- Save strong art pieces for inclusion in your portfolio. Keep your physical and digital portfolio well-curated and up to date.
- Participate in juried shows or exhibitions.
- Join arts-related student and professional organizations.
- Consider pursuing an advanced degree such as a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) to further develop your skills and make valuable connections.
- If interested in a freelance art career, develop a solid understanding of business principles.
- Visit museums across the country and world to gain exposure to different types of art.