For over 40 years, the University of Virginia has connected students to quality internships with public service and private industry organizations within the Charlottesville community as part of its public service mission. The UVA Internship Placement Program continues this tradition offering students customized placement with a qualified internship site matched to their career field of interest for the summer, semester, or academic year.
The UVA Internship Placement Program implements a quality internship program that begins with intern recruitment, selection, and preliminary matching to ensure partners receive the best possible intern placements for consideration. We provide on-going programming and resources to support intern success such as a required Intern Orientation and Professional Skills Workshop. Program supervisors collaborate with the UVA team by completing mid and final performance intern evaluations to assess intern professional development, learning outcomes, and quality. Internship sites are pre-qualified to meet UVA standards and guidelines established for internships by the Department of Labor Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Quality intern recruitment
- Customized placement process
- Pre-matched intern candidates for final site interviews and placement confirmation
- Required Intern Orientation/Professional Skills Workshop
- Program operation and support by the UVA Career Center
- Academic credit option
- Summer, semester, and academic year internship session options
- Introduce students to your profession
- Mentor and develop young leaders
- Offer valuable learning experiences for UVA students
An administrative fee invoice of $100 will be emailed after your completed registration. Registration waivers are available for non-profit and start-up organizations by request to InternshipCenter@virginia.edu.
Select the term(s) that are best for your organization to host an intern and follow the registration process in Handshake.
- Sign in to Handshake
If it is your first time, please create an account. The UVA Career Center approves new accounts within 24 business hours.
- Post Your Internship with the title: "IPP: Organization Name/Internship Title"
- Register for the Internship Placement Program
- Open the Fairs Module
This module contains a virtual event registration program supporting the Internship Placement Program
- Select the 2018-19 Internship Placement Program
- Select Register
- Complete the form
- Under Booth Options, select the session(s)
- Under Booth Type, select "New IPP Partner"
- Under Looking For, insert your IPP Internship posting(s)
- Select Create Registration
- Open the Fairs Module