The UVA Career Center would be happy to assist in the planning of your On-Grounds Information Session. If you would like to host an off Grounds event, we are happy to provide assistance, however, we are not able to serve as the liaison between your organization and the venue (as we do for On-Grounds events). You may contact the employer relations team at (434) 924-8900 if you have questions about this process.
If you are planning to host a recruiting presentation that is open to all students, we ask that you submit your tentative presentation details by July 15 (fall sessions) and December 15 (spring sessions) for priority consideration.
We approve requests for information session time slots on a first-come, first-serve basis. Due to the number of Information Sessions we accommodate, all Information Sessions are limited to one hour increments.
You will receive a confirmation e-mail within 5 business days after your request is approved. Changes to information sessions must be approved by the UVA Career Center BEFORE they are advertised to students. Please contact employer relations at (434) 924-8900 so that we can update your event accordingly on the calendar.
Step 1: Select A Date and Time
Information Sessions will be scheduled between August 23 - November 22, 2016 (Fall) and/or January 18 - May 2, 2017 (Spring). Before selecting a date, please check the calendar to see what dates are already taken by fairs and other large events. We will not approve information sessions that are scheduled to begin within an hour of the start times of events hosted by employers recruiting similar students.
If you would like guidance in selecting a date, please contact employer relations at (434) 924-8900. You are welcome to reference the University Calendar to avoid scheduling conflicts with major University events.
Step 2: Complete the New Event request in Handshake
Visit Handshake and complete the New Event request, located in the upper right hand side of the page.
Please keep in mind that fees are typically associated with the venues below and that each facility has its own guidelines for reserving spaces.
- Newcomb Hall Student Center, facilities include a wide range of room accommodations from small conference rooms to large presentation rooms, convenient parking
- Alumni Hall, facilities include a large conference room and Ballroom space, convenient parking
- Engineering School, facilities range from small to large classrooms
- McIntire School of Commerce, facilities include classroom space and large presentation room
On the Corner*:
- Cafe Caturra (434) 202-2051
- Boylan Heights (434) 984-5707
- Marriott Courtyard (434) 977-1700
- Starbucks on the Corner (434) 970-1058
- The Biltmore Grill (434) 202-1498
Within walking distance:
- Hampton Inn & Suites at the University (434) 923-8600
- Best Western Cavalier Inn at the University (434) 296-8111
- Omni Hotel at the Downtown Mall (434) 971-5500
- Oakhurst Inn at the University (434)-872-0100
*The Corner refers to a strip of restaurants and shops on Main Street that students frequently visit. It is within walking distance of grounds and most housing.
If you would like to rent A/V equipment for your Off-Grounds Information Session, we recommend:
Step 4: Wait for Approval of Date/Time/Location
The UVA Career Center approves Information Session requests slots on a first-come, first-served basis. Providing accurate information when completing the request form will allow for an expedited approval process. If you have selected a date or time that conflicts with a direct competitor, Career Center staff will notify you so you may select another day or time for your presentation.
For Information Session occurring On-Grounds, the Career Center will submit your venue and A/V request on your behalf. Once the venue is confirmed, you will receive a confirmation e-mail from the Career Center.
Step 5: Reserve Catering
- Hot Cakes; 434-295-6037, serving a variety of appetizers, specialty entrées and desserts
- Chick-fil-A; 434-924-7901
- Take it Away; 434-295-1899, gourmet sandwich shop with sandwich trays available
- Mellow Mushroom;434-972-9366
- Papa John's; 434-979-7272
- Domino's; 434-971-8383
- VMeals: Order online through www.vmeals.com and select from a wide variety of best-in-class local restaurants and caterers.
*Please be sure to make accommodations with the caterer to provide any cutlery or tableware you will need.
Step 6: Publicize Your Program
All approved Information Sessions are promoted through the UVA Career Center Facebook Page, student emails, and UVA Events App. Please engage with your UVA Career Center Facebook event to increase event exposure (reach) and engagement (likes/attending).
Establishing relationships with student groups at UVA is also a great way to build a presence on Grounds and connect with students directly.