Jump to a Section:
- UVA Involvement & Volunteering
- Jobs, Internships, & Fellowships
- Graduate Programs & Skill-Based Training
- Gig-Based & Freelance Work
- Grants & Residencies
Both UVA and the greater Charlottesville area have a vast amount of unique opportunities that are an ideal way to introduce yourself to, strengthen your knowledge of, and / or specialize your skills pertaining to creative arts industries.
- UVA Contracted Independent Organizations listed by career interests
- UVA Student Council's Student Arts Committee
- Fralin Museum of Art (docent program)
- Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Museum
- Local Volunteer Opportunities & Events
- Visit Handshake to obtain passwords to access these premium resources:
- CEI Internship books--comprehensive lists of internships offered every year. Examples include: America's Advertising Agencies, The Media Internship Book, The Resort Internship Guide, The History & Museum Internship Book
- Current Jobs for Graduates--Internships and entry level positions in Writing/Editing/Communications and Performing Arts.
- ART JOBS—Jobs and internships
- Behance—Arts jobs
- MEOJobs--Media and Entertainment
- New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA)—Jobs, events, and spaces
Many students enjoy pursuing a higher degree in their respective fields. A graduate school and / or skill-based experience has the potential to create opportunities for students dedicated to their specified interest. Below are examples of advanced degrees for creative arts, media, and design-focused students.
If you are looking for a variety of clients, flexible hours, and self-promotion experience, gig-based and freelance work might be a good fit for you. Resources devoted to this type of experience are below.
Applying for a grant and/or residency is a great way to earn recognition for your creative talent, receive instruction from industry leaders, and grow in terms of your personal talent. While there are numerous grants and residencies available both domestically and abroad, below are a few from various creative arts, media, and design fields.
- American Architectural Foundation—Fellowships and scholarships
- Asian Cultural Council
- TransArtists—National and international artist-and-residence funding opportunities
- Elizabeth George Foundation—Grants for unpublished fiction writers, poets, and playwrights
- Foundation Center
- Grants for individuals listed by subjects
- Jerome Foundation
- National Endowment for the Arts
- New City Arts—10-month Charlottesville artist residency program
- New York Foundation for the Arts
- Theatre Communications Group—Grants for actors, directors, theatre professionals, and writers