View professional associations, tools, and other career information according to specific sectors.
Jump to a Section
- [Vault Guides (accessible via Handshake)
- AdAge Talent Works
- Advertising Crossing
- Media Bistro
- PR Crossing
- PR Week
- Marketing Jobs
- PR News Wire
- American Marketing Association
- Sales and Marketing Executives International
- American Association for Public Opinion Research
- American Association of Advertising Agencies
- American Advertising Federation
- Advertising Educational Foundation
- Advertising Research Foundation
- Association of National Advertisers
- Council of Public Relations Firms
- Public Relations Consultants Association
- International Public Relations Association
- Business Marketing Association
- Guide to Understanding Market Segmentation Bases/Variables
- Blog Entry: Getting Your Foot in the Door for the Marketing Job You Really Want
- Vault Guides (accessible via Handshake)
- Strategy Consulting Network (LinkedIn group)
- Consulting Magazine
- Case Interview Secrets by Victor Cheng
- McKinsey & Company Careers Blog
- Prospect - AT Kearney Blog
- Consulting Crossing
- Association of Management Consulting Firms
- Professional Consultants Association
- The Society of Professional Consultants
- Institute of Managment Consultants USA
- Corporate Finance & Financial Advisory
- Human Resources Consulting
- IT Consulting
- Management Consulting
- Marketing Consulting
- Real Estate Consulting
- Strategy Consulting
From a career development perspective Entrepreneurship can come in many forms. While it is most commonly associated with the activity of starting a business or product line, it can also be applied to working at a new company or even bringing a new idea or opportunity to an existing venture.
Here at the UVA Career Center we want to help you develop and harness a special entrepreneurial spirit, no matter your career path. We can help connect you to resources and information across Grounds if you want to start your own venture or if you want to build on your sense of innovation in a role with an existing entity.
Below you will find lots of valuable resources as you consider an entrepreneurial career, but be sure to set up an appointment or drop by Office Hours to learn more.
For more information related to Entrepreneurship at UVA, visit: http://entrepreneurship.virginia.edu/.
- Vault Guides (accessible via Handshake)
- Handshake - check Handshake for the latest full-time and internship opportunities from companies of all ages and sizes
- Start Up Jobs from AngelList - This resource allows you to browse jobs from start-up companies across the globe by location, role, market, technology, salary.
- Start Up Hire - StartUpHire provides a listing of startup career opportunities, including thousands of jobs at venture capital backed companies nationwide. Jobs can be filtered by stage, industry, investor, location, job function, and more. Email alerts automate the task of identifying new jobs matching your individual criteria.
- Start Up Zone - Allows you to search startup jobs at VC backed startup companies in Silicon Valley and the Bay area. These roles are by high-growth technology startups only.
- Venture Loop - VentureLoop seeks to connect growth companies, talent, entrepreneurs and resources. They try to create long-term relationships with venture capital firms, entrepreneurial individuals and service providers to develop a valuable pool of relationship capital for their venture-backed customers.
- Venture For America - Venture for America is a two-year fellowship program that connects recent college graduates with startups in cities with emerging entrepreneurial ecosystems. Through their program they are working to revitalize American cities and communities through entrepreneurship
- Cleverism – Provide access to in depth job board and helpful guides about entering the start up world
Social Entrepreneurship Resources
Social Entrepreneurs are committed to solving the major challenges facing the planet today. They take innovative and creative approaches to develop sustainable solutions to a range of problems from poverty, malnutrition, and homelessness and to lack of access to education, health care and dignified work. Those solutions may take the form of innovative financially-sustainable non-profits, world changing for-profits, or a range of hybrid models in between, including innovative financing like venture philanthropy, social impact bonds, public-private partnerships and impact investing.
Social Entrepreneurship at the University of Virginia creates opportunities for students to learn about social entrepreneurship through experiential classes, workshops, speakers, hackathons, concept competitions, Global Field Experiences and internships. For more information visit: http://seatuva.org/
- B Corp Job Board - B Lab is a nonprofit organization that serves a global movement of people using business as a force for goodTM. Its vision is that one day all companies compete not only to be the best in the world, but the Best for the World® and as a result society will enjoy a more shared and durable prosperity. Site includes job board and other resources.
- Echoing Green - Echoing Green has been ahead of the curve for 30 years, supporting visionaries around the world who are transforming their communities, addressing economic development, racial and gender equity, environmental sustainability, and more. The organization provides seed-funding and leadership development to a new class of Fellows every year and welcomes them into its lifelong community of leaders.
- Just Means - Justmeans.com is an online community and publisher of news about corporate social responsibility, sustainability, energy, health, education, technology and innovation. The Justmeans website includes a comprehensive Calendar of Events related to the covered subjects, and a searchable Jobs Board in those fields, with substantial “help wanted” listings for job seekers.
- National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship - The Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship's mission is to provide programs that inspire young people from low-income communities to stay in school, to recognize business opportunities and to plan for successful futures.Site also includes job board.
- Net Impact - Career advice, resources, and job opportunities for people who want to make a positive impact through their careers.
- Omidyar Network Jobs/Internships - Omidyar Network invests in entrepreneurs who share a commitment to advancing social good at the pace and scale the world needs today. They are focused on five key areas we believe are building blocks for prosperous, stable, and open societies: Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights.
- Social Entrepreneurship Corps - Social Entrepreneur Corps leads dynamic impact and immersion programs in Latin America. The mission of Social Entrepreneur Corps is to provide you with the knowledge, skills and support necessary to empower marginalized individuals, families and communities. You gain invaluable leadership and professional development experience through foundational training on social entrepreneurship and community consulting, working on high-impact social innovation projects and experiencing deep cultural immersion in local communities.
- Social Entrepreneurship - Forbes
- Social Enterprise Alliance - Social Enterprise Alliance is the national membership organization and key catalyst for the rapidly growing social enterprise movement in the United States. We provide social enterprises with the resources they need to succeed, support and grow social entrepreneurship on a national scale and serve as a voice for more sustainable social impact. Site also includes job board.
- Social Good Guides - Authored by industry experts, erectile the Social Good Guides are a collection of subject specific small-business guides created for startup changemakers. The guides are an initiative of the Social Innovators Collective.
- StartingBloc Institute for Social Innovation - StartingBloc brings together change leaders and social innovators from across the world for 5 days of workshops that hone your leadership skills and view your work from different perspectives.
- Taking IT Global - TakingITGlobal empowers youth to understand aTakingITGlobal empowers youth to understand and act on the world's greatest challenges. Their database allows you to browse through grants, scholarships, fellowships, internships, jobs, and other exciting opportunities!
Additional Resources, Student Organizations and Information about Entrepreneurship and Startups
- The Buffalo Bureau: A Tom Tom Organization - Coordinates with the Tom Tom Foundation to both promote and plan entrepreneurship, innovation and founding events tailored to UVA students and the Charlottesville community.
- CBIC (Charlottesville Business Innovation Council) – Supports entrepreneurs and tech-based businesses by providing networking, education, and advocacy opportunities.
- Darden i.Lab Incubator – Supports the development and growth of promising seed- and early-stage business ventures.
- Enactus – Enactus at UVA is a project-driven organization that focuses on making a positive impact on the local community by using business and problem-solving skills.
- Entrepreneur.com - website with great resources and information from across the entrepreneurial landscape. Also has detailed newsletter that can be subscribed to.
- The Galant Center for Entrepreneurship at the McIntire School of Commerce – Their mission is to encourage, educate, and empower students—past and present—to take on crucial roles in the new venture community, thereby impacting the world in which we live and creating value of all kinds. They work to catalyze entrepreneurial activity not only within the McIntire School, but also across and beyond the Grounds of the University of Virginia.
- Hack.Cville – A local “clubhouse for creative entrepreneurship.” HC is a member supported, member run community of designers, programmers, makers, creatives, and the just plain curious. No matter your skill, they share, learn, and do, in support of one another’s projects and the efforts of both UVA and Charlottesville organizations doing great work. They connect passionate people of all skill levels to foster creative projects. They also provide resources and programming for their members to help them "hack" their projects, educations, or careers.
- Hoos Invent - Hoos Invent is dedicated to innovating for the community, to giving students hands on engineering experience, and to having fun! The club as a whole proposes different projects that are interesting, unique, and exciting to work on.
- The Pioneer: Showcasing innovation in the arts, tech, and civic life around UVA and Charlottesville.
- Profit with Purpose: Profit with Purpose educates, connects, and empowers members to think about investing differently. They do this through workshops, building relationships, and providing experiences. They 1) teach through a practitioner lens, encourage collaboration, and always prioritize the learning experience 2) Organize and hold events to connect our members with practitioners in the space and 3) Work with early stage startups and analyze their venture's investment readiness. Members have the chance to analyze ventures, speak with entrepreneurs, and engage with investors. This is an experience that builds technical, analytical, and communication skills.
- SEED (Student Entrepreneurs for Economic Development) – Student organization that aims to help small and start-up NGOs worldwide by offering free consulting services in the areas of microfinance, operational efficiency, and marketing strategy.
- Start Up Salary Tool: presented by AngelList
- Start Up Virginia - resource that highlights events, news and updates about entrepreneurship and the start up industry in Virginia.
- TechCrunch - TechCrunch is the #1 business blog for startup and investment news from around the world. Every month, TechCrunch reaches 6.5M US readers from across the tech industry — entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, investors, startup fans, developers, and business-decision makers.
- Uncubed Edge: Learn Tech, Product, and Business Skills from fast-growing start-ups
- UVAStart – A resource provided by the Entrepreneurship and Innovations Committee of Student Council that documents the people, events, and creations that shape and define the entrepreneurial ecosystem at the University.
- Virginia Venture Fund – The Virginia Venture Fund is one of the first student run venture capital groups in the country. Comprised of two divisions, one division aims to educate and provide relevant experience to students interested in VC, growth equity, and private equity; and the newest division, V Accelerate, aims to help accelerate student projects in the entrepreneurial community at the University of Virginia.
Articles, Videos and Podcasts
- What Students Really Need to Learn to Get a Startup Job
- 4 Steps to Landing an Interview at a Startup
- 10 Things Your Resume Needs When Applying to Startups
- How to Land a Startup Job (Before Anyone Else Knows it's Available)
- 10 Things Entrepreneurs Need to Know about Intrapreneurship
- Insider Tips on Getting Hired at a Startup
- "How to Hack the Startup Job Search" Video
- "Demystifying startup job offers" Video lecture
- "Is working at a startup a good idea? | Fortune Live" Video
- The 24 Best Podcasts for Entrepreneurs In 2017
- Certified Financial Planners Board of Standards
- Insurance Information Institute
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
- Financial Management Association
- American Finance Association
- Association for Financial Professionals
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
- American Association of Finance and Accounting
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
- Investment Management Consultants Association
- Street of Walls
- EY Webcasts
- Mergers and Inquisitions
- Wall Street Oasis (accessible via Handshake in Resources > Business Community)
Below are some opportunities including internship, full time and rotational program positions - please go to the company's website listed below for most current opportunities.
|Abercrombie & Fitch||Internships (In Handshake) - Merchandising, Merchandise Planning, Inventory Management, Finance||Full Time (In Handshake) - Leadership Development Program, Merchandising|
|ANN, Inc.||Internships: Summer Internship, Corporate Internship, International Internship Program||Full Time: Assistant Merchandiser, Merchandise Analyst, Online Marketing Coordinator|
|Belk||Internships: Positions include: Store Management, Buying/Planning, Product Development||Full Time: Executive Trainee Program - Merchandising, Retail Store Management|
|Burlington Stores||Internships: Corporate, E-Commerce, Store Management, Buying||Full time: Supply Chain Development Program, Assistant Buyer, Allocator|
|HSN||Internships: Positions include: Visual Coordinator, Fashion Stylist, Digital Coordinator, New Business Development, Communications & HSNi Cares, Marketing, Integrated Partnerships, Corporate Retail Buying/Merchandising, Corporate, Retail Planning, E-Commerce Category Management (St. Petersburg, FL)||Full Time: Merchandise Assistant Computers, FL, Merchandise Planner, FL, Show Planner, FL|
|Kohls||Internships: Positions include: Store Management Internship, Multiple Locations, Apparel Design Internship, Milwaukee, WI, and New York, NY, Technical Design Internship Milwaukee, WI, and New York, NY, Merchant Analyst Internship, Milwaukee, WI, Product Management Internship, Milwaukee, WI||Full Time: Store Management Trainee, Merchandise Analyst Trainee, Product Development Coordinator|
|Macy's||Internships: Positions include: Store Management, Information Technology, Corporate Finance & Accounting, Human Resources, Credit and Customer Service||Full Time: Store Executive Development Program, Technology, Omni Buying, Omni Planning Human Resources, Finance and Accounting|
|Nordstrom||Internships: Positions include: Retail Management, General Headquarters Seattle, WA, Merchandising and Planning Seattle, WA, Technology Seattle, WA, Engineering Seattle, WA, Finance Seattle, WA, HR/General Corp. Seattle, WA||Full Time: Retail Sales, Multiple Locations, Engineer 1, Customer Services Specialist|
|Target||Internships: Merchandise Planning Business Analyst, Marketing Development Program, Finance and Accounting Development Program, Store Executive Intern, Operations Intern - Distribution Center||Full Time|
|The TJX Companies, Inc.||Internships: Corporate Merchandise||Full Time: Merchandising Development Program|
|Under Armour||Internships: Technology and Product Development, Design & Creative, Business, Summer League||Full Time|
|Urban Outfitters||Internships: Merchant Leadership program and home office internships||Full Time|
|Walgreens||Internships: Positions include: Corporate and Rotational Internships, Community Management , Finance and Accounting, Distribution Center, Retail (Merchandising and Advertising)||Full Time: Assistant Store Manager Trainee, Nationwide|
- National Retail Federation (Check out NRF job board here)
- Retail Industry Leaders Association
- American Purchasing Society (Check out their job board here)
- The Sales Management Association
Trend boards resources:
- ApparelSearch.com Trend Board Fashion Trend Report
- TWU's Vivid Images Presentation Boards
- How to create Mood Boards by Creatively Daring