2016-2017 UVA Career Center Recap
As the year comes to a close the Career Center celebrates with graduating students both their success at UVA and their futures. One of our goals in the Career Center this year has been to engage more students in their career development by partnering with faculty on unique, appealing events. Here are some highlights.
Film Industry Networking Breakfast
60+ student attendees
- The Career Center Creative Arts, Media, and Design community held a Film Industry Networking Breakfast, on November 5th, to coincide with the annual Virginia Film Festival.
- This special event, held in the Paramount Theater, brought students together with young filmmakers and UVA alumni who traveled to Charlottesville to participate in the Festival.
- Attendees included students, film school faculty, filmmakers, directors, and other industry professionals to generate full-time and internship opportunities, share creative ideas and enhance professional networks.
Serving Society Conference
140+ student attendees
- On Friday, Dec. 2nd over 140 students attended the inaugural Serving Society Conference created by the Education, Counseling, and Youth Development Community, and Public Service and Government Community.
- This event introduced students to careers in social entrepreneurship, NGOs, Nonprofits, Social Work, Counseling and Religious/Spiritual organizations. It allowed students to connect to key alumni and Charlottesville community members working in these fields and learn how they can both build a career and make a difference in the world.
- The program was a partnership across Grounds through collaboration with Madison House, Learning in Action and more.
- The morning sessions focused on specific career fields, while the afternoon sessions included skill-based learning sessions that included practical skills students would need to succeed in these particular fields, such as data literacy, grant writing, and volunteer management.
Identity, Diversity and Your Career
50+ student attendees
- As part of the university’s Diversity Week, this event partnered with Multicultural Student Services, the UVA IDEA Fund, the Minority Rights Coalition, Student Council, OAAA, and more for a program on the importance of identity, diversity and unique experiences in a student’s career development journey.
- Created by the Career Center’s new Inclusion Team, the event on April 5 brought together students, alumni, faculty, staff and more than 20 leading employers for quality panel discussions, a keynote from Dr. John Gates, workshop breakouts and networking on this vital issue.
Sustainability Career Conversations and Impact & Sustainability Career Fair
800 students and 85+ employers engaged
- As part of the Career Center’s focus on social impact and sustainability careers, the Center hosted both Sustainability Career Conversations and special Career Fair events this year.
- The Engineering, Science, and Technology Community hosted a Sustainability Careers Conversations event on Thurs. Feb. 2nd, in partnership with the UVA Office of Sustainability, and Whole Foods Market. Twelve alumni from a variety of fields including policy, energy management, government and law, and advocacy met with over 75 students, to discuss their interest in the field, and their own personal experience working within the sustainability sector.
- Building off that momentum, the Center hosted the Impact & Sustainability Career Fair in conjunction with its April Job and Internship Fair on April 5, 2017.
- The Impact & Sustainability Fair and April Career Fair served ~800 students to help them find jobs, internships and future career opportunities with 85+ employers.
Global Development Career Day
150+ student attendees
- Held on November 4, Global Development Career Day was an opportunity for students interested in international development careers to meet with organizations and institutional members working in the industry.
- The program consisted of panels, presentations, and an exhibitor showcase from 12 leading global development organizations.
- The event was made possible through partnership with faculty and staff from the Global Studies, Economics, the Center for Global Health and the Batten School.
Thank You to Our Partners
It is through partnerships that we can best connect students to quality career development resources, internships, experiential learning, and post-graduate opportunities. Thank you to all of our UVA family for your support of the Career Center during the 2016-17 Academic year.
You can partner with us in future endeavors. Encourage your students to visit the Career Center. Our career advisors will meet your students wherever they are in their career development. Whether a first year or a fourth year, students will learn about how they can assess their interests and strengths and begin to build a career story. When you talk to your students, rather than asking solely about major, ask them about what skills they feel they are developing, and what kinds of things they like doing. These kinds of questions will help students build a career story that will appeal to employers or graduate schools and empower students to launch professionally and personally fulfilling lives.